We are having a nice rainy day here. The rain is welcome, because our weather has been very dry and rainfall is way below average. I had some fun driving through thunderstorms and downpours earlier today when I went to see my rheumatologist up in Houston.
Rainy weather always makes me want to nap -- I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on anything, and almost impossible to think about going to Chemistry class tonight. Could I get by with skipping? Hmmm.....
I had some wonderfully witty posts planned about our excursion to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo on St. Patrick's Day, but I didn' have time to write. Then, when I did have time, I didn't have the words. I am teetering on the edge of the vast blackness of a major depression and it is taking all my effort just to keep going with the everyday stuff.
On a lighter note - the rodeo was very interesting and fun to watch. I loved the livestock show, with all the kids taking such good care of their animals. The main point of this event is to provide scholarships for kids, which I heartily support. I was a scholarship kid myself, although mine was in no way related to livestock. I grew up in the concrete jungle of a large northeastern US city - it's a wonder I knew what a cow looked like.
The main reason we attended was that we were given tickets to the rodeo and concert. We have been to the rodeo 2 times in 21 years - each time was the result of free tickets. While I love the kids and animals together, I forgot how upset I got the first time, watching the roping events of the rodeo. I can admire the skill of the competitors, but I hurt when I see the cattle jerked off their feet by the roping, etc. I guess I'm a softie at heart.
The rodeo events were followed by a concert. During the 2 weeks of the Houston Rodeo, all the big country-western acts appear. To be more inclusive, they include one concert devoted to Tejano music and one to "black" music (I can't remember how they termed it this year - it changes according to PC dictates). On our past two forays to the rodeo, we saw Miami Sound Machine (hey, it was the 80s and the tickets were free!) and I think it was the Commodores (again, it was the 80s). We're not your typical C&W fans, although both George and I listen to a very eclectic assortment of music and can enjoy some country. Still can't appreciate the rap, but maybe I'll learn sometime.
When George received this year's free tickets, I asked, "Who's playing that night?" He said, "Does it matter? It's a night out, which we haven't done in months." The man had a point.
I am sooo thankful that our tickets were for March 17th and not the 16th. We saw Lone Star, a country group that has pleasant songs.
The headliner on March 16: Hillary Duff.
WTF? Does she even sing?
One of the weirdest moments of our evening at the rodeo? They play music to keep people entertained while setting up the concert stage, after the rodeo events are completed. Most of the songs were country/rock classics. However, while George was gone to the concession stand to purchase a cup of Coke for $6, I couldn't believe my ears. What were they playing, at the Houston Livestock show and rodeo, on March 17, St. Patrick's Day?
"That's Amore" by Dean Martin. You know, "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore."
George thinks I was sniffing the cow manure too much and hallucinated, but I kid you not - that's what they played.
As an Irish girl, I was hoping for at least "Wearing of the Green" or "When Irish Eyes are Smiling."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
lol - that's amore!
Yep - the roping thing is a bit much. Not necessary in these days that I know of. Or maybe it is...who knows?
I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy some time with George.
I hope you feel better soon ((hugs)).
Post a Comment