Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sunday Morning Musings

I went to WW yesterday, and my total weight loss is now 22.2 pounds. Another pound and a half and I will reach my first goal: losing 10% of my starting weight. According to my scale at home, I have reached that goal, but I don't think they would appreciate me stripping down nekkid at WW to weigh in, at 6 a.m. in the morning.

Since late summer, I've been making changes that have impacted my life for the better. Joining WW (this time, going to meetings instead of on-line), has been a help and a motivator to make healthy choices. Joining my Gentle Yoga class has been asbolutely the best choice I've made recently. The stretching, the breathing, the relaxation have all been wonderful. I am finally at peace with my body in so many ways. And I can see myself getting stronger every week, and continue to challenge myself to go deeper in the poses. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment.

But the accomplishment I am most proud of is: I am now off of anti-depressants for the first time in 6 years. They were a very necessary thing for me during this time. I have dealt with inner demons that I could never have faced without the help of those meds. I have handled extreme crises and remained able to function. And I may need to return to the meds at some point, but right now I have weaned off and feel good.

My biggest breakthrough recently has been going to my naturopath. He is knowledgeable, logical, inspiring. I did a one week liver cleanse where I ate only organic green vegetables and protein shakes, plus some supplements. I never would have thought I could do such a thing, but I was feeling so poorly, and he promised I would improve dramatically after this one week. I basically did it to prove him wrong. Guess what - I was wrong! I felt great, and I continue to.

I am still on a restricted eating plan, to discover my sensitivities that aggravate my fibro. But without sugar, gluten, dairy, citrus, red meat, soy, caffeine, alcohol and unhealthy fats, I continue to feel really good. Of course, I have strayed a little - there was Thanksgiving, my birthday, and vacation - but I was really careful and did not consume large quantities of anything.

I am eating organic whenever possible, and reducing my consumption of prepared/convenience items. I am taking good-for-me supplements, designed to address my specific issues. And did I mention, I'm losing weight and feeling great? In the past, my little tumble in NM would have sent me into an excrutiating fibro flare for weeks. While I'm still darn sore where I banged into bathroom fixture and floor, I don't have the all-over flu-like pain that I used to have all the time.

Just to be clear - I have not found a cure for my fibro. I still have symptoms. I still hurt most of the time, and I have low-energy episodes. But when I compare it to how I was doing before, it is like midnight and early morning. The light is here, and the hope of brighter day is very high.

I confess that I was at such a low point earlier this year, I was seriously looking into going on disability. I could barely function at work, and going to work depleted me so badly that I couldn't function when I left.

I cannot tell you how good it feels to have energy again. I am even getting obsessed with jewelry-making, a hobby I've been flirting with for quite a while. But I never had the creative energy to do much before. Now I'm blosssoming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so so so happy to read this.The jewelry making is what tells me it is true-- the energy to be able to create is so essential to happiness.

Watching you find the pieces of your puzzle inspires me. It is such a wonderful progression.

Kathy C said...

Simply amazing Kath. I'm so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you sound so strong! I can feel your energy coming through your words. Good for you!

I, too, am eating organic foods and have stopped red meat, alcohol (unless it's a special occasion), refined sugar and dairy.

The biggest improvement I've noticed is when I quit eating dairy...very, very difficult for someone who was born and living in Wisconsin. But, no more runny nose, strained voice, puffy face, etc.

Best of luck on your continued journey. I'm right there with you, sister!

Beanie