Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sunday musings part 2

(This is a continuation of the post below).

Wow. I started today's post to say, I've lost weight and got off a bunch of meds.

For the record, over the past few years I've been on a lot of meds. I still am, and I take supplements prescribed specifically for me. But here's what I've eliminated:


  • Prevacid (acid reflux); fixed with diet

  • High blood pressure med; diet, exercise, fish oil capsules; now 110/70

  • Anti-inflammatories (super strong scripts); fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin. I still take lower-strength one, but only when needed, not as an everyday thing.

  • Cholesterol meds. I had high cholesterol. I made half-hearted attempts to change my diet, but accepted the pills when dr said I needed them. My cholesterol went down to 138/140. I asked dr, shouldn't I stop now and see what I maintain on my own now? She said no, I said BYE BYE. My latest bloodwork shows 168, after giving up the meds. Ha ha ha.

  • Anti-depressant. I gave up the one that supposed to help with physical pain. I have learned to allow myself to feel again (therapy) and deal with those emotions (therapy again). I do not shut myself off from everyone (my biggest depression symptom). I recognize my warning signs. I still take a tiny dose of a mild AD to help with sleep (a fibro symptom that I do need meds to help with), but so far I am doing well without them.

I'm not against meds. I still take them, plenty of them. But I don't want to be on meds unnecessarily, and I don't want to stay on meds that are giving me side effects that are worse that what I'm trying to fix! I've been testing, little by little, what I need and what I don't. This list is the result of that observation effort.



It's been a long tough road, but I feel like that age 46 is going to be my best so far.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news Kathy, I couldn't be happier for you.

You go girl !!!!

KinnicChick said...

Holy toledo, Kath. These are some fabulous improvements. WONDERFUL!!!

I had no idea you'd made such strides with your true health (bp, chol, etc.)

So for you, it sounds like going to the WW meetings is truly far more helpful than just doing the online thing. And I think that just makes sense, overall. That personal face time seems like it could make a lot of difference from a real support standpoint. In a lot of ways.

Is that a NM photo? I'm so happy for you!

Elizabeth said...

That is terrific! You look great. How's your nose feeling?

Rising Rainbow said...

Congratulations! It sounds like you've made some great improvements. Stuffing one's feelings causes people more grief than then know. I'm glad that you're learning to do otherwise. Good for you!!!!