Well, it's still morning here for another hour - I think. Did I change my office clock for daylight savings time? Oh yeah - I remembered.
So much for my promise of daily blogging in my previous post. I got kinda busy with work, husband, Mom, house stuff - the usual. When I thought about blogging, I let my self-doubt creep in. Why would anybody want to ready about my life? I'm not up to being clever or witty when I write.
Now I've concluded that writing here is useful to me as an on-line journal, to go back and see the ups and downs and candid thoughts I've had over time. So since it's good for me, I'm gonna do it and not worry about whether anyone else is amused or interested.
This is a trend I'm observing in myself lately. I'm allowing myself to admit what I want, and do what I want, even if it isn't practical or sensible or what those around me necessarily want.
On our Florida trip 2 weeks ago, I was initially concerned about G having a good time, because I kinda talked him into going with me to the conference and then us having a few days to ourselves. We usually want to do the same kind of things for fun, but it became clear that he wasn't interested in spending time on the beach. I'm not usually a beach person either, but I really wanted to just sit on the sand for an hour, look at the waves, smell the water and just commune with Nature. So when we went to Key West, I stated my intention and of course I did what I wanted to do. In the past, I would have kept quiet and then felt resentful for no reason. I'm learning!
Another example is that I started my international costumed doll collection. When I was a little girl, I sent in Pop Tart box tops to get a collection of little wooden egg-people that were dressed in the costumes of the world. The interest stayed with me through adulthood. I've always been fascinated by how people in other countries and other times live. Hence my love of history, historical literature, sociology, archeology, etc.
Anyway, I have always wanted a nice collection of dolls with costumes from around the world. I never actually started the collection because it was frivolous, expensive, etc etc. Yesterday, I found a bunch of good quality dolls - Friends Around the World by Madame Alexander - that were on sale and just what I always wanted. So I bought 5 of them.
They look so pretty, and I had so much fun arranging their costumes and hats and props. I went back to being a little girl again for a while, and it was fun!
I like this way of living.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
If you are interested in dolls around the world, visit EthiDolls.com, a developer of African Signature Dolls whose products are handcrafted by Madame Alexander. Choosing historical African women leaders, EthiDolls is creating dolls with an educational component so that the dolls are not only fun and collectible but also instructional and edifying.
The first in the series is Makeda®, the Queen of Sheba doll, and her attire is not only an authentic one still worn today by women in Ethiopia but the material for her dress was handwoven in Ethiopia. She also has the traditional neck tattoo still adorned by Ethiopian women.
The next doll in the African Series will be the Queen Mother of Ghana, Yaa Asantewaa. An amazing woman leader with the traditional Ghanaian traditional dress design still worn and whose fabric design pattern for royal women is based on museum archives, she is a beauty.
So, you ra saying that you are breaking out of th pattern of always complying? I see anarchy ahead! :)
I hate that I can't just click and respond to people who comment here! Pattig1, thanks for the info. I bet those dolls are gorgeous!
KatieK - Yes, at age 46 I'm finally growing out of the "good girl" behavior and taking control of a few things. I've got my big-girl panties on now, and it feels good!
Post a Comment