Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Insomniac Dreams

Insomnia visited me yet again last night. After I finished reading one book and got bored with a second one, I switched on the TV. Do NOT watch VH1’s 50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs when you can’t sleep. Even though I only caught the top 13 songs, the tunes haunted me long after I turned off the TV.

Maybe the soundtrack influenced my dream when I finally drifted off to sleep after 3 a.m. Some months ago, I started telling myself at night that I intended to learn whatever my subconscious showed me in my dreams and that I wanted to remember as much as possible. I read it in a book, and it seems to help me recall my dreams better.

Last night’s dream returned to the scene of a dream I had a week ago. I was living in a cramped, dingy space (not my real home) and this time I got the courage to explore beyond my immediate surroundings. When I opened a door, I discovered a huge new space that I had not suspected before. The first few rooms were larger, but seemed to be decorated in scraps from the old, drab space. I immediately noted that the old stuff needed to be removed. I was still pretty excited to find this new space.

As I explored further, I found three stories of hallways lined with amazing rooms. Recreation rooms, spa-like bathrooms, luxurious bedrooms, fabulous kitchens, in all kinds of styles. Some felt very comfortable, some felt strange but still inviting.

No one had been in any of these rooms in a long time – there was dust and some old rotten things in a few places, which I took care of as I passed through each room. There were a bunch of clothing articles, too, and I realized that I would have to try them on to see what fit me and what needed to leave.

Oddly, in each room there were plants and flowers that were still living. As I watered them, they perked up very quickly. I had the feeling that this space was new and would take a long time to discover everything that was there, but I felt safe and happy at the prospect of exploring.

There were many more details, but they disappeared from my mind when my kitten Gracie decided that 2 hours was too much sleep for me and pounced on me in the dark.

Pointing out the connection between my dream and my journey of self-discovery is not necessary. But I am really encouraged by my dream, because I’ve been trying to make a few decision about my life and this dream tells me to take my time and explore all that is inside. Most of all, to trust my instincts, to rid my life of old notions that no longer fit, and to select what works for Me, now and in the present.

4 comments:

KinnicChick said...

Very cool. Many aspects... that you remember your dreams, that it was so fitting with what's going on for you, that it has such a positive feel to it.

A fellow insomniac! I'm not even going to ASK what tunes fall under the category "Most Awesomely Bad". Wow. Can't imagine the ear worms that show would give me. :)

Kathy C said...

Awesome dream Kathy. Wish it could have lasted longer so you weren't up. What is it with animals who must be up at night? My dog has been a horrible barker this summer, all hours of the night. Even the rooster has been known to crow at midnight.

I'm loving your writing style and look forward to reading more of it.

KathyK said...

Not to plant any ear worms, but the number 1 most awesomely bad song was Starship "We Built This City on Rock and Roll." I think #2 was Achy Breaky Heart. The Macarena was on the list too.

KinnicChick said...

Oh.my.dog. I KNEW better than to come here and read this tonight. I KNEW it. Do you KNOW what my number one most awesomely bad song is? my most hated hated HATED song in all of the world for all times is? THE SONG THAT IF THERE WERE A SONG ASSOCIATED WITH SATAN THIS WOULD BE THE SONG?????????

You gotta imagine a drumroll here for the effect to work and think about a long pause with people holding their breath. You gotta hold your breath too and imagine that you are sitting there waiting FOREVER for my answer (but don't pass out - I don't want you to hurt yourself!)..........................

THAT TERRIBLE HORRIBLE NO GOOD VERY BAD thing that they called a song and played over and over and over again until I was ready to pull my hair out of my head
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
We Built This City

They are so lucky I didn't commit some murderous rage or something while they played this stupid thing that they called music too many times. And now I've done it. I read the title which is enough to hear it in my head. All.
Night.
Long.
(look what time it is!!! :o( )
Bet I'm singing it when I get up in the morning. *sniffle*