And so it begins.
Keri got me thinking today. In her blog, she challenged various people, including me, to start blogging. My reaction was, Not Me.
I like reading people’s blogs. But to do one of my own? I don’t do anything interesting. I don’t have a particular mission of my own, such as raising money for cancer research (although that cause is dear to my own heart). I am not reaching for a particular goal. I do not have children, so I cannot make witty or heart-wrenching observations about the challenges of being a parent (although I am constantly in awe of parents everywhere. I am not a great watcher of movies, nor do a read a great amount of literature any more, popular or otherwise. What in the world would I blog about?
Yet, there’s more to it. I’m afraid. I’m afraid to put my words, my feelings out there for others to read. Actually, I’m afraid I have nothing to say. Where’s my voice? I don’t seem to have one. Did I ever really have my own voice? I spent so many years being afraid, defining myself by what I thought others wanted, expected of me. I had a gift for writing, but I never expressed anything personal. That’s probably why I began as a reporter. I could write about who, what, where, when and why – as long as it wasn’t about me.
I spent years running away from my feelings, my true self. Over the past 4 years, I have been learning about myself, beginning to understand what has formed me, what has frightened me, what has silenced me for so long.
The laryngitis is lifting. But how do I find my voice? The only way I’ll learn is by stretching my "vocal" cords. Maybe a blog is a good place for me to start.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oooh, I'm so jealous. Fabulous title, and subtitle. That's the hardest thing about STARTING. And you popped one off like it was nothing. As for continuing, you have a fascinating career, a cool place to live/community, an adventuresome kitty, and personally, I just find the minutia of people's day to day stuff fascinating. Have you ever read Bill and Stacey's stuff at Nothing But Love (linked on my site)? They don't have any of those specific things you list as possible topics, either, but can find something to say about stopping for coffee, or gas, or what was read in the paper, or just whatever.
That's the key, I suppose, dear... YOU. Give us a bit of you and what you think about something. There's my greatest challenge, too. Always afraid of offending someone, turning someone away. But I think that's what keeps me coming back for more - being fascinated to hear what makes a person tick. Because it helps me learn what makes myself tick, too...
Thanks for rising to the challenge! What fun! Loved your first post! I'll let you have your blog back now... :)
Post a Comment