OK, I don't want to jinx myself, but I have consistently done my physical conditioning (in one form or another) every day for the past 10 days. My initial goal was to do something physical daily, for 2 weeks, to establish the habit. Now, some days it's a real workout and other days it is just stretching and range of motion exercises - but it's all good.
My appointment with the sleep specialist was both a little disappointing and a little encouraging. The sleep study did not show severe sleep apnea, so I don't qualify for the CPAP machine. I was pretty bummed, because I thought that might help me sleep better and overcome the daily fatigue that is dragging me down.
Dr. T said that I definitely have periodic limb movement disorder (restless leg syndrome). I also have a lot of "alpha intrusion." Alpha brain waves normally occur during waking hours, but for some of us, the alpha waves "intrude" into our sleeping hours and cause nonrestorative sleep. She said it is very common in people with clinical depression and with fibromyalgia - so I have proof that my problems aren't figments of my imagination. I swear, after a while, you start doubting yourself sometimes.
Have I mentioned that I love Dr. T? She takes a very holistic, integrated approach to treating the whole person. Maybe it is her Chinese heritage, but it is so rare to find in the normal medical arena. She completely understood my reluctance to take any more meds - she shares my concern that taking one pill, to treat one symptom, can exacerbate other symptoms or cause new ones. Finally, a medical doctor who understands!
She spent a long time talking with me. She suggested that I try a different sleep aid - I have been taking Lunesta. I sleep deeply with the Lunesta, but she thought it might be contributing to my lack of energy during the day. I'm trying a new med, which has fewer side effects and works on the melatonin receptors in the brain to better regulate the sleep/wake cycles. So far, I'm not sleeping as much or as deeply but I have less fatigue during the day. I'm supposed to report back after 2 weeks on how it is working.
Sometimes I feel like I'm a detective on one of those TV crime investigation shows - chasing down clues, using a process of elimination, and sometimes just going with a hunch as to how to live well with fibromyalgia.
I have to take charge of my health care - chronic diseases are not for wimps!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment