Thursday, March 15, 2007

Empty Nest Syndrome

Mom is living on her own just fine, thank the Lord.

Two months ago, I would not have bet that she would have survived until now, let alone recovered enough to return to her apartment, drive to the grocery store, pay her bills, teach my Aunt Sis how to send e-mails, and rack up points on pogo.com. I've got an attitude of gratitude all the way!

But after two months, I had adjusted to her living with us. I didn't have to wonder how she was doing - she was right here. I knew what she was eating, I knew whether she felt well enough to get dressed or if it was a jammie day.

I also became accustomed to having clean clothes all the time. Within her first few days of being out of the hospital, she said she needed to do something worthwhile or she'd go crazy. She figured she could do laundry, so every work day I had a load of laundry waiting for her. And, boy did I get scolded if I forgot! It was like having my own special Laundry Fairy living here.

Gosh, I miss her.

But gosh, it's good to be getting back to "normal," whatever that is.

3 comments:

Kathy C said...

I've been wondering about you alot so I am delighted to see you back!

I'm glad things can hopefully settle down for you. I don't know about the Blackberry though - it would be a little too intrusive for me.

KinnicChick said...

fabulous... absolutely fabulous.

Garden Tool User said...

Great post! I saw another article on Empty Nest Syndrome at: http://contentjuncture.com/emptynestsyndrome.aspx