Thursday, March 29, 2007

One small step for woman...

One giant leap for my sanity.

Today I made the commitment and the appointment for a cleaning service to come to my home.

I have struggled with this for several years now. My upbringing tells me that there is no earthly reason why I should need to hire a housekeeper with only 2 adults in the house. When I finally got that little guilt-mongering voice in my head to be quiet, I had a new issue to deal with. My husband has very strong paranoid feelings against people being in our house while we are not. No way will he allow a stranger unsupervised access to our house.

To be fair, he does way more than his share of the everyday housework so it's not like he's demanding me to do it all. He's fine with hiring someone - one of us just has to be here when they come.

Since I have decided to continue my work-at-home Tuesdays for the foreseeable future, I now have the perfect solution. The cleaning crew will come on Tuesdays while I work in my home office. I have talked myself out of any lingering guilt about someone else cleaning my home while I sit at my desk by pretending that I am really in my office.

If I can't be here on a Tuesday, my mom has graciously offered to be here while they come to clean.

I cannot tell you how excited I am - they are coming next week!!

Between working full-time, having to deal with my Mom's needs, and coping with fibro, arthritis, and nerve damage, this is an accommodation I should have made long ago.

This is part of my campaign to take control of my life - the parts I can control - at home and at work. I am making baby steps, but the differences are noticeable and very encouraging. Not having the guilt over my house being less-than-clean will be extremely uplifting. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a housekeeper. She comes twice a week, all day. I'm like you and like George-- but here in Turkey every family above a certain income level has help and there is no going against it. Our cleaning woman has been working with Sinan's family for about 40 years, so I have arranged my days at work with her days so I don't have to be at home (we tend to gossip too much-- she knows the whole family :))

I think this is a great move for you. I don't think you should feel guilt about it at all. For one thing, you could spend the same amount of money on, say, shoes or expensive wines, or a hobby like paintball or DVD collecting, every month and no one would say a word-- and this way you are employing someone, which is adding to the local economy in a good way rather than just giving that money to a big conglomorate for said shoes or DVDs (I can rationalize anything)

I love, love, love coming home on the evenings when my house has been cleaned. It's like the dial has been set back to zero and I can start all over again. I call cleaning day Redemption Day.

Elizabeth said...

Kathy, I'm so glad that you are having someone come in. You've got so much on your plate and why spend your free time cleaning?!

If I could afford it, I would definitely hire cleaners. The Lazy does not like to clean.

KinnicChick said...

FABULOUS. You and Katie may have just helped me jump a hurdle that I have needed to jump for a long time. Lovely. Thank you both. ENJOY Kathy.