Monday, May 16, 2005

Health Report

Last week, I began chiropractic treatment and trigger point therapy, to address some of my pain issues. I definitely have a lot of parts out of alignment - including my jaw! After a few adjustments, I am really feeling better. Saturday I had my first trigger point release massage therapy. This is not your relaxing, pampering kind of massage. The therapist massages your muscles to find trigger points, which are hardened nodules inside your muscles that cause muscles to contract painfully. Of course, I have tons of them. She presses deeply on the points to release the tension, and after a while the muscles learn not to contract.

It hurt like hell afterward, but I'm much looser. We could only work on my shoulders and neck Saturday, but that's my worst area. I think this is going to be very helpful.

Today, I go to my urologist to have a cystoscopy performed, to check the lining of my bladder. A lot of FM people have bladder irregularities, and this test will tell me if that's what's causing my problems in that area. I'm a bit nervous about the procedure, but I know it won't be too bad and I'll be glad to get it done and over with.

My weight loss has slowed down, but I think as I feel better I'll be able to start exercising again and that will help. I was encouraged over the weekend. I found a pair of pants in my closet that I bought last July, before my trip to Virginia for training class. When I tried them on, I could pull them down past my hips while they were buttoned and zipped! Then I tried a pair of pants I bought 2 summers ago and promptly "outgrew." They fit, with room to spare. That made me feel really good.

1 comment:

Kathy C said...

Wow Kath, If there's one thing I dislike it's a painful massage. I'm glad it helped you, but make me cringe just thinking of it.

You are to be commended for your pursuit of wellness. You know, many people would have given up. You are approaching this systematically and with determination that is the girl we know and love.