Wow, it's a gorgeous day out there today! I just returned from a short walk around the neighborhood, and we are having beautiful spring weather. Blue sky, bright sunshine, flowers blooming, a cool (!) breeze blowing. It felt good to be alive.
I was in kind of a funk over the weekend, but it's gone now. My Friday meeting with the nutritionist went well - except she thinks, since I did so well on the strict diet for 2.5 weeks, that I should continue it for another 2 weeks. I was a bit disappointed, but I really liked the weight loss so I agreed to continue.
My blood work shows several deficiencies, especially B12, that correspond totally to my symptoms. We are going to address the deficiencies with diet and supplements, and this should really help my energy levels. I found it interesting that I am borderline on a Vitamin D deficiency - my nutritionist recommended getting outdoors more! With the lovely spring we are having, that will be no problem. I will have to get creative in the heat of the summer, when it's 101 degrees in the shade.
I also had an appointment with my rheumatologist yesterday morning. I have been having problems with my knees for a while, which I blamed on an old field hockey injury and, more recently, the fibromyalgia. Surprisingly, she told me I have osteoarthritis in both knees, with the right knee much worse. I had x-rays, which will show how much deterioration in the cartilage has occurred. She prescribed an anti-inflammatory med, weight loss and exercise. Also, I need to add glucosamine and chondroitin supplements to help lubricate my joints.
I was bummed at first. Just what I need, another health problem! But I'm grateful it is not rheumatoid arthritis, and I'm glad I am diagnosed at the very young age of 43 so I can do something about it.
I've decided that I need to approach exercise the way that I've approached the strict diet: just accept that this is something I need to do to feel better. Better yet, it is an experiment to see if the exercise does help me feel better. (I know it will, but I have to find a trick that will overcome my natural laziness and inertia).
My goal this week is some kind of movement, each day.
Oh, I lost 1.5 pounds this week - and I am at full PMS bloat right now. I have lost almost 15 pounds since Feb. 22, with a few detours upward. In keeping on my strict eating plan, I am still logging my food and staying on my WW points plan. The only thing on WW plan that I am not keeping to right now is the dairy product intake. However, I am eating veggies with high calcium content and taking supplements, so my calcium intake is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment