Thursday, May 12, 2005

Today is National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day

I'm back, because I think this is something worthwhile to say: today is National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day. To read more about it, go to http://www.fmaware.org The theme is Be Aware, Be Active.

I hope in some small way my journey with fibromyalgia has made my friends, family and co-workers aware of this disease. It's one of those conditions that seem invisible - you can't necessarily tell by looking at us that we have a health problem. My boss tries to encourage me sometimes by saying, "Well, you look great!" He means well, but sometimes I just want to shout, "Looks can be deceiving!"

Fibromyalgia has taught me some valuable lessons. Closely examining my priorities and my life, I have changed my lifestyle to expend my limited energies on the things that are most important to me.

It has also taught me a great lesson in humility. I have always been the hardest worker in the group, wherever my strange career journey has taken me. It became part of my identity, and I unknowingly took a lot of pride in it. Now, I can't be the hardest worker in the office, and I'm accepting that it's OK. I'm still a worthwhile contributor, and I don't have to run myself into the ground to be one.

I've learned to be kinder to myself (most of the time). I'm doing my best to quiet the negative self-talk that has become so ingrained in my thought patterns.

Another lesson is that the conventional medical community is not well equipped to help fibromyalgia. I've had to be proactive in seeking out ways to improve my symptoms and my quality of life. Personally, I think there is more that I can do to help myself, rather than just take a pill for pain, take a pill to sleep, etc. Searching for those modalities that can help my individual situation gives me a boost, because I don't feel as helpless and I have a feeling of accomplishment when I find something that helps.

The greatest lesson I've learned? That people can be wonderfully giving, encouraging, and compassionate. And those who aren't, are not worth my time. Accentuate the positive as much as you can. You will be rewarded.

2 comments:

KinnicChick said...

Yay, she's back! I hope you don't disappear for too long, my friend. But if you must, you must. I can understand. Do what is needed for you. I will wait.

But I'm still glad today was NFAD. :)

Tomorrow? Tomorrow is Diva Day. Another lovely reason to post. In case you needed a reason. Ahem.

Kathy C said...

Thanks for posting again. I am gone for long periods of time between posts, so I understand.

You have taught me a LOT about F. It has helped me be more compassionate towards the woman I have met who have it.