I had a long talk with Dr. M this afternoon. I poured my heart out about how it is becoming difficult to continue with the strict diet, as much as I am heartened by the consistent loss of 1-2 pounds per week. My everyday pain has been lessened, that is true. My big problem is that I'm still waiting to feel a spurt of energy, but it's just not there. I have so much I need to do and want to do, yet my body will not cooperate. I'm sad that I've made some big changes in my life, but they are not resulting in huge improvements yet.
Dr. M reminded me that we discussed the fact that I would not see major changes overnight. She thinks my body is still reacting to work stress - the fact that it has been continuous stress for 2 1/2 years now has depleted my natural defenses so much that I can't expect them to be restored in a few weeks.
She was very empathetic and encouraging to me. She said I've made tremendous strides, even if I can't quite see it. And it all comes down to this simple fact: I need to exercise.
Exercise is one of the best things a fibromyalgic person can do. It loosens the joints and muscles; releases hormones that increase energy levels and feelings of well being; combats stress and reduces the levels of stress hormones; strengthens the body; etc etc etc.
The cruel joke is, we have to force ourselves to exercise, even though we barely have the energy to get dressed without having to rest. Once you start, it becomes easier. It's just overcoming the huge forces of inertia that's the challenge.
I surprised myself by sticking to the strict eating plan without cheating for a month. Except for a few "treats" I've stayed with it for even longer. I never thought I was capable of it.
Now I need to approach walking with the same attitude.
Just do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm at a similar place with my new medication. I've lost some weight, but I'm tired and I'm sick of eating salads and grilled chicken. I know I need to get out and walk more, too. Maybe we need to make a day by day pact, just a little pact. Like a fifteen minute walk at first.
Post a Comment