Friday, June 10, 2005

Laser Light Show

George had his laser eye surgery this morning, and everything seems to have been successful.

I am such a big chicken - I didn't even watch! I knew it wouldn't be gory - I just didn't necessarily want to see my 6 foot 5 inch he-man strapped on the stretcher having his eyes zapped. Just the thought of them cutting a corneal flap, and re-shaping the eye underneath with lasers makes me kind of queasy. On the drive home, he was describing the whole thing and said there was a smell when the laser was zapping eye tissue, similar to that burning smell when the dentist drills a tooth. Eeeeuuuuuwwww.

Everything went well, and my big he-man is now sleeping off the Valium they gave him - which he insisted didn't have any affect on him whatsoever.

I'm working from home so I can keep an eye on him. Yesterday he insisted that I should just drop him off at our front door and head into the office. Yeah, right. He is so independent - he won't ever let me wait on him or make any kind of fuss if he is ill. This was a big bone of contention in the early years of our marriage. I had the mindset that a "good wife" babies her husband when he doesn't feel well. George just wants to be left alone - don't fuss, don't ask him how he's feeling, just go away.

I understand how fortunate I am after comparing sick-husband stories with my friends and co-workers. My totally informal survey results indicate that most males want to be babied, fussed over and taken care of - even for the slightest cold or ingrown toenail.

After 20 years of marriage, George and I have reached an agreement. I understand his need to be left alone, and he allows me to take care of him a little bit (just because it makes me feel better). Usually, anyway. Up until last week, he was insisting that he didn't need me to go with him for this eye surgery. Fortunately, the surgeon said they wouldn't perform the procedure unless he was accompanied by a responsible adult. Even on the drive home today, he said, "I could have driven home - I'm seeing well enough." Then he said, "But it's comforting to be able to close my eyes and let you drive."

Gotta love that Valium. Too bad they didn't have any extra for me.

3 comments:

Kathy C said...

You've been so busy posting and I've been so busy painting that I've missed out on ALOT!!

First, congrats on 18 lbs down and the big award coming up.. what Wednesday right?

Second, Jack would just as soon be left alone also. When we were dating he loved having me dote on him. Lately he would rather be left alone. I think it depends what's wrong with him at the time.

Anonymous said...

Sinan's been thinking about lasic surgery for a long time now. It seems so...freaky...I love the part about George saying he could have driven himself home!!! Men!! No, my Mom would say the same thing. Absolutely.

He doesn't mind a bit of babying. He pretends he doesn't want it, but then I tell him to stop being silly-- because he takes excellent care of me when I'm sick.

KinnicChick said...

oooh. Lasik. I'm jealous.