Friday, June 02, 2006

Zzzzzzz....

Guess what I found out today?

That I almost certainly have obstructive sleep apnea. The tentative diagnosis will be confirmed via a sleep study in 10 days.

I have never slept well. I was surprised to discover that everyone didn't wake up every two hours each night. Several years ago, the insomnia worsened (during a really bad time in my life). It took me hours to get to sleep, then when I would awake during the night I sometimes could not get back to sleep -- no matter how exhausted I was.

When I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I discovered that sleep disturbances were very common with this syndrome. I tried several meds and finally found one that helps me get to sleep within a reasonable time.

Unfortunately, this past January, I started waking after a few hours of sleep and having trouble getting back to sleep. Much to my husband's joy, I pumped up the volume on my already buzzsaw-like snoring. I am ashamed to admit that he resorted to earplugs in order to get some sleep.

My fibro symptoms have been fairly well controlled in recent months, except for the sleep thing and the unceasing exhaustion and fatigue. There's a difference between sleepiness and fatigue - and I have both.

I consulted with a sleep specialist doctor today and found that I have classic apnea symptoms. Never getting restorative sleep, stopping breathing while sleeping, choking, etc. etc. Most likely, I inherited the tendency from my dad. Being overweight, plus the fibromyaliga, exacerbates the problem.

Even though I'm not thrilled to have yet another health problem to add to the list, I'm feeling pretty optimistic. The fibro symptoms I've been struggling with most -- lack of energy, exhaustion, inability to concentrate, memory problems -- are probably intensified by the sleep apnea. And if I can get the apnea addressed, I am hopeful that these symptoms will improve greatly. My rheumy seemed to think so.

The best part -- no drugs! If the sleep study confirms everything we suspect, I will try a positive airway pressure machine when I sleep to keep the airway open and keep me oxygenated. Finally - a primary treatment that doesn't involve meds or surgery!!

Much as I dread the idea of trying to sleep while hooked up to electrodes and being monitored via video and telemetry, I am willing to endure it to get some relief.

I'm so tired of being tired. I'm really excited that I might be getting some relief soon.

3 comments:

KinnicChick said...

You and Michael should talk. You have so. much. in common...

Anonymous said...

First off, who the heck is Michael?

Second, Kathy this sounds really interesting. If you could find a way to get some really good sleeh it could have such a good impact on the rest of your life-- how exciting. Sinan has poor sllep quality. I've been wanting him to have a sleep test done but he refuses to do it...but maybe your experince will inspire him...so please, don't spare any details.:)

Kathy C said...

Although this diagnosis isn't a joy, perhaps it will turn in to one as your exhaustion reduces. Keep us posted.

Yes Keri - who is Michael?