Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Calling All Dream Analysts!

Is there a certain meaning to cats in a dream?

I often have the same kind of dream. In various situations, I start seeing "twins" to my current kitties (used to have same dreams with kitty loves of the past). Then all the cats start multiplying exponientally, and I'm trying to herd these cats and find my true cats. I've figured out that I always have this type of dream when I'm feeling overwhelmed with responsibilities. The cats represent those who depend on me - others try to glomm on, but I need to figure out where my true responsibilities lie.

I'm OK with these dreams. But lately I've had dreams with less quantity of cats, but it is always a pure white cat. Now, I am weird. Black cats don't scare me - even though two of the meanest cats I've ever met were coal black. But pure white cats creep me out. I have no idea why. Hence, my request for dream analysis.

I really don't want any bad omens right now. Between Mom's health and the upcoming Shuttle launch next week that I will see in person, I could really skip any foreboding messages.

We've already had one death this week (see below). George's former boss, the father of the boy killed in Iraq on Memorial Day, has not left the boy's bedroom since he heard the news. One of the honor guard soldiers convinced him to come down and accept the flag from them, and then he returned upstairs. My heart is grieved for this particular family, because we know them. But it grieved thousands of times over for all those families who have endured the same tragic loss. Insanity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking if cats represent that what you feel responsible for, and in the past you have had dreams of doppleganger cats, or cats mysteriously multiplying out of control, mirroring your state, then we have to apply the same kind of logic to this cat.

The lone white cat. If the cat, as a symbol, represents in your subconscious your responsibilities, then I think you are in for some good news. A white cat, besides being white, is singular, perhaps indicating focus or a kind of unity, perhaps how white is actually not a color, but all colors, but to our perception those colors are united and p resent as white. This cat could be representing your bringing many parts of yourself into one, and blending them into a whole.

The pure white cat creeps you out.

Well, you are a good girl and you feel a lot of conflicting emotions over just focusing on yourself. It feels somehow wrong to accept the whole, perhaps you have been holding on to a very old self-narrative that is no longer relavent and it is time to let go of it, but you are "creeped out" at the thought of it. You maybe miss those dreams with all of the multiplying cats because that seemed easier than this one white cat, which might represent a kind of truth you need to face but are resisting.