One of the few tangible perks of working where I do is the occasional memento of a space event or a related item. Mission patches and pins, a bookmark flown in space on a previous Shuttle mission - these things are small but they help us remember that what we do is really something special.
Today, we received a cool item in commemoration of the centennial of powered flight. It is a small flag, with an image of the Wright Brothers' plane, commemorating a Centennial of Flight 1903-2003. The flag flew over the Wright Brothers National Memorial at Kitty Hawk, NC aboard the NASA WB-57F high altitude research aircraft during the First Flight Centennial Celebration last December.
To think about how far we have come in a relatively short time period (I must be getting old if I can say 100 years is short!) - it just amazes me. My imagination goes wild trying to think of where the next 100 years could take us. Things we cannot even begin to dream now can become commonplace in our grandchildren's time. My late grandparents couldn't even begin to conceive of the idea that I am sitting here with a computer on my lap, sharing my thoughts with the world. Their parents couldn't imagine air travel being possible, let alone being commonplace.
What possibilities will come to life as we progress in this century? My dream is that we can use our tremendous technological advances to improve life here on earth, as well as to explore this vast universe. I'm feeling pretty optimistic today.
What do you think can happen in 100 years? Utopia? Annihilation? Or something in between?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think we will muddle on, kill each other, make love (not in that order!)...I'd like to dream up great space discoveries and Star trek-like scenarios, but I live in a country where the majority of the population has never seen an escalator. I'm hoping for an amelioration of religious differences, and food and health care for all. Continued space exploration, of course. The changes in the last 150 years are mind-boggling. Most of the papers I read at my job have to do with modernization, how Turkey has done in taking on western concepts and technologies, or how it has rejected them. Enjoy your flag-- will you fly it somewhere or put it somewhere safe?
Post a Comment