Thursday, November 11, 2004

A Sunny Thursday

Today's outlook is much better, meteorologically as well as emotionally. The weather is nice, warm but not too warm, and sunny but not humid. I love this time of year in Houston. We get so few perfect days.

I'm feeling much better today, too. My friend Cindy called last night with yet another crisis in the continuing drama which is her life. I love Cindy, but she is really a high-maintenance type friend and I don't have a whole lotta extra energy to share right now. I listened to her but didn't take her problems on as my own (something I struggle with a lot). I felt pretty good about how I handled things - I was sympathetic but I protected my own emotional boundaries. Yay me.

I went to my second aquatic therapy class this morning, and it was great. I think I may want to continue on with this beyond the initial 6 week session. I can do things in the water that I cannot do on dry land (push-ups, squats, etc). It seems easy while I'm in the water, but after I get out I am exhausted and I can really feel that the muscles have been worked. I need to add aerobic exercise, but right now I want to get used to the aquatic program first. I took advantage of my day off and had a lovely nap this afternoon.

This evening I tackled the terrible mess that is my photo collection. I use the word "collection" loosely - they are stuffed in bags and boxes. Twenty years worth of travel and Christmas photos. Clutter in my life. Guilt.

A friend at work is a Creative Memories consultant, and I went over to her house to see what it's all about. I always thought that scrapbooking was only for people with kids. She really showed me some neat things to do with travel photos, and especially old heritage photos. I am encouraging Mom to sort through the old old photos so we can start preserving them, while there's someone alive who might remember who the people are.

I sorted through a huge sack of photos, and threw away all the duplicates, fuzzy ones, and just ugly ones. It was so freeing! And I was done in less that 30 minutes. I'm going to work on this sorting in the evenings for a while. As I sort, I get ideas for themes and illustrations for scrapbook pages.

I guess I'm hooked.

4 comments:

KinnicChick said...

I could so easily get addicted to the scrapbooking thing. Wouldn't it be fabulous to leave near each other and have bi-weekly scrapbooking sessions??? *sigh* I'm thinking margaritas and scrapping and diva laughter... WHY OH WHY couldn't we all live a lot closer?

KinnicChick said...

And way to take care of yourself by not taking on other's problems, dear! Very sensible of you. We all need to learn that lesson. Especially when we aren't in our best health. Keep up the great work, Kathy!

Kathy C said...

Love love love scrapbooking! Course I do have kids, and mainly work on their books, but I have done a vacation one from a trip just Jack and I took. It's fun and wow do they ever have cool paper and pens!! I agree we really all should live closer together. Although, Keri and I live about 3-1/2 hours apart and haven't gotten together since Chicago. (something we're working on)

Your aquatic therapy class sounds so great! I agree that you should continue with it, especially because you like it so much. That's the key I think, finding something we like and can fit into our lives.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy
I am not really anonymous I just dont have a blog password. I really enjoyed getting back into exercise by swimming and using the kickboard, I also felt like I had worked hard but wasnt in pain (haha).

I used to be really good with my photos but now they are all in a box. I am inspired by all of you and will start to work on getting them in order. What to do with the digital stuff. I was thinking of burning them onto a CD and then printing out my favourite ones for the album. What does everyone else do ? Are there are website which give ideas on 'scrapbooking'

Amanda