Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Fragments

An assortment of thought fragments are running through my head. Maybe it's due to after-effects of the surgery drugs, or maybe I sprained my brain trying to understand the Chemistry material I missed hearing in class (due to said surgery). Anyway, to distract my mind I thought I'd list a few items here.

Happy Valentine's Day - I hope I don't wait for one day per year to let all those who mean the most to me know that they are loved. But I'm reminding them today anyway.

Did anyone watch the opening ceremonies for the Olympic Games? Did you hear the music played while the athletes entered? A horrible assortment of 80's tunes. I mean, "Video Killed the Radio Star" - WTF? The only thing notable about that gem is that it was the first video aired on MTV. (Yes, I kick ass at Trivial Pursuit). At least, the US of A marched in to Aretha. Geeeesh. What brilliant person thought the 80s music was "perfecto" as a theme for the Olympic opening games ceremony? Opera or Italian folk songs would have been more appropriate.

If Dick Cheney enjoys traipsing around the countryside with firearms, let's send him and his 78-year-old (former) hunting buddy over to Iraq. My grandfather always said that our armies should be made up of senior citizens, not our young folks who still had their whole lives to live. We'd have less wars, of a lot shorter duration, if we followed his plan. Grandpop was onto something, I think.

While I'm on a roll, let's talk about supposedly grown-up, professional people who act like 6-year-olds in the workplace. I recently missed two weeks of work. My co-workers, all of whom have been in this office for much longer than me, couldn't wait for me to sit down at my desk to greet me. That is, to line up and tell me what all was done "wrong" while I was out. "So-and-so did this while you were gone, and I knew it wasn't right, but I wanted to wait for you to come back so you can tell them." I'm not a parent, but it was just like when Mom returns home and the snitch can't wait to tell her about how everyone else misbehaved while she was gone.

This is why I wish I could work from home permanently, rather than just one day a week. But that one day a week is all that's keeping me sane some weeks. Gosh, I used to be a people person! Now, I'm really thinking I want to make a career change that will allow me to hide in a lab cubicle with a microscope and itty bitty samples to analyze. People are too difficult. Maybe it's just my current co-worker situation, I dunno.

I'll probably be a lot more upbeat once I flunk my chemistry test and get it out of my system!

1 comment:

Kathy C said...

I couldn't believe the music either, although my major concern was the antics of the US olympians...

Couldn't they have just welcomed you back with a "WE MISSED YOU" sign?

And lastly, don't you think woman who return to college in their 40's should have an automatic out from Chemistry exams after undergoing surgery? Now THAT sounds like an appropriate law.