Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Catching Up

Wow, I haven't posted anything in a while, have I? It's funny, when I'm drifting off to sleep I compose eloquent and insightful posts about all kinds of subjects - which completely disappear by the time I wake up. I'm reduced to chit-chatting about mundane everyday stuff. Someday, I'll get back to sharing my world view and biting sociopolitical commentary. Just not right now.

I celebrated Mother's Day with my mom -- cooking her a nice dinner, making her travel plans and purchasing her airline ticket for the June trip, and explaining what will be happening with her IRA once she turns 70 1/2 in October (she was convinced she wouldn't have enough to live on). This role-reversal thing is pretty strange, parenting the parent.

I completed my work for the spring semester at school and I am so relieved that it is over. Due to the turmoil of losing our Chem professor 2 weeks before finals (yes, he was a piss-poor teacher, but he was our piss-poor teacher), they were remarkably generous with the grades for those of us who stuck it out through the final. So, I got an A in Inorganic Chem 2, which I didn't really earn based on my test grades but I guess they just re-evaluated everything on a really big curve. My on-line Speech class was a piece of cake, so no worries there.

Work is a constant challenge and drain. On Thursday, our weekly meeting began at 9 a.m. We took a 45-minute lunch break, and then continued until 8:30 p.m., and reconvened to finish up on Friday, 8 a.m. to noon. My butt is petrified from sitting in that cave of a conference room so much. Some decisions were made, so I guess it was worth it. I dunno.

George's middle brother and his wife are getting divorced. They got married the day after she graduated from high school, so it's amazing they made it for 22 years, I guess. They never seemed happy to be with each other, to me. Their kids are 21, 19 and 13. It will be interesting to see how things work out across the family - George's 2 brothers married girls who are sisters. Now one couple is splitting up (allegedly due to an ongoing affair on the wife's part). It could become complicated. I'm just thankful that we live 1600 miles away from that soap opera.

Plans are progressing for our backyard retreat/swim spa. We can't move out until we get the *%$# Homeowner's Association blessing. Ah, the joys of Suburban Living!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Isn't "online speech class" a bit of an oxymoron?

Kathy C said...

1600 miles helps keep you out of it. Thank goodness!

What a relief to be done with school. Take the A and chalk it up to univsersity politics. There will likely be an adverse grade somewhere along the way to adjust.