Sunday, September 24, 2006

Why I Make a Good Straight Man (for a joke)

Or, why you shouldn't eavesdrop on a conversation between my husband and me at the deli.

I never saw this one coming.

Last night, we stopped at a New York style deli up in Houston. It serves the kind of food we grew up with, in great quantities, and there's nothing even remotely healthy about it.

One of the little benefits is that they serve complimentary whole Kosher pickles and cole slaw with your sandwiches. I'm not a big cole slaw fan, but I'm all about the pickles. Always have been - my mom has photos of me as a toddler, munching on a pickle like it was a banana.

Anyway, last night, in the glow of a few Brooklyn Bridges (the martinis, not the structures of course), my darling husband stole a bite from my pickle. I was feeling kind of of sentimental, so I lovingly said, "Honey, I'd be glad to share my pickle with you any time!"

He looked at me mischievously, wiggled his eyebrows and said lecherously with enthusiasm, "Likewise!!!"

The lady at the next table almost choked on a bite of corned beef.

Serves her right for eavesdropping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee, that's funny. Are you more the straight man or the person who delivers the one liners in the relationship overall? I'm definitely the joker, but Sinan gets in a good share, and lately Sunaliza has begun to get in some good zingers of pickle caliber...

But eating a pickle like a banana? I'm sure Freud would have something to say about THAT. But the idea of a pickle and a banana at the same time is...ew...

Kathy C said...

lol...Got a pickle eather in my clan. Shy will order a ham and cheese with extra pickles at subway. We all turn our noses up but she loves it.