Saturday, October 14, 2006

Clearing out, Making Room

I am on a misson, to rid my world of clutter - anything that is taking up unnecessary space in my home, my mind, my world. I'm tackling it little by little, because it is amazing how much crap can accumulate when you are not paying attention.

Today, I sorted through a mountain of paperwork on my desk, filing what needed keeping, shredding what could be tossed. I felt so good at the end of it, and then my eyes alighted on The Box.

The Box is a rubbermaid tote thingy that has been sitting on the floor of my office for a very long time. In the past, I would start trying to get organized and then lose steam when I couldn't find a place for those things I wasn't ready or willing to part with. So The Box became the catch-all for the stuff I was not willing to make a decision on.

Today I decided to tackle The Box.

There was a bunch of stuff I could just toss. Why in the world was I keeping that? was a question that occurred time and time again. I found the leftover Christmas cards from last year and put them on the shelf to be used up this year.

Then I got to the bottom of the box.

There was the part I had been avoiding: all the sympathy cards I received after my father's death two years ago. The stationery I used to write all those letters of notification, and thanks. As I looked at them again, I remember how blessed I was by the outpouring of love and comfort I received at that time. I became accutely aware of how much I am loved.

Looking at the cards again, I realized that I carry that remembrance of love within me every day. I no longer need to hold onto those scraps of paper - I have the memory, and the inner knowing, of the love of my friends and family.

So I made a little ceremony out of putting the cards into the recycle bin, thanking the authors again for their love and reminding myself that I don't need those cards to know that I am loved and cared for by people who are wonderful, every day.

It is done, and I feel lighter, freer, cherished.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

One of my favorite shows is Clean Sweep and one of the organizers on the show is always emphasizing how it's the memories that are important, not the stuff. Going through all the cards must have been difficult but worth it.

ps...I also have boxes of paper to go through later. At this point I should just shred the contents and done with it.

Anonymous said...

You are so unusual to actually get to the part about recycling them. Most people would feel the need to hang on to them forever. I'm constantly trying to pare down my possessions...though I do wish I had more things related to my dad...