Friday, December 15, 2006

Interesting Session

I had my first appointment with my new counselor last evening. I like her energy and approach very much. She is much more of a coach, rather than someone who lets you talk and then asks, "And how do you feel about that?"

J. said, "I have to warn you, I have opinions and I will tell you about them. But you have the choice as to using them or ignoring them." I said, "I want to hear your opinions, otherwise I wouldn't be here."

She is an animal lover and had big doggies all over the place. They are so loving and friendly - maybe they are part of the therapy, I don't know.

My first assignment is to think about confrontation, my favorite subject. Instances of successes and failures I've experienced in past confrontations, and what makes me feel the way I do about the whole subject.

This one will be hard, because I've learned to handle confrontation well in my work life but avoid it totally in my personal life. I'm a big chicken about it. It will be hard to think of success/failure examples because I just don't do it very often.

I think I'll be writing in my journal an awful lot this weekend. Don't worry, I won't pour it all out here. I just thought I'd share the assignment, in case anyone else out there might benefit from thinking about the subject.

In other news, I am taking a mental health day! Work is very slow, the mission is going well, and I have tons of stuff to do at home. Why waste my energy at work? I sorted through all my school papers and books, tossing what needed to go and putting away the textbook for that time in the future when I break down and take Physics 2. It is required for my degree, so I'll have to take it eventually. Just not now.

This weekend, I hope to decorate our tree (which still stands bare but lighted), write out Christmas cards, help my mom with a few things - oh, and get my hair done this afternoon. More bold streaks and color for me!

No comments: