To promote safety and sanity this holiday season, I bring you this safety message aimed at drivers in the Houston area - and any area in which it may apply:
When it is so foggy that visibility is less than an 1/8 of a mile, but you still feel the need to venture out in rush hour traffic, please heed this advice:
Turn.Your.Headlights.ON.
Headlights in fog are mandatory. Not high-beams, just your normal headlights.
Yes, I know that it is bright enough that you don't need them for your own sake. They are for the other drivers, so they may see you coming a little bit faster than when you are right on top of them or they are on top of you - literally. Especially if you are driving a silver or gray (i.e., fog colored) vehicle.
For pete's sake, it doesn't cost you anything to flip them on- but it might prevent you and an unsuspecting fellow commuter from a bad day.
Thanks in advance for your compliance.
If anyone would like to add their own special public service messages to this one, please chime in on the comments. I'm sure there are lots of issues that require clarification for our fellow common-sense-challenged citizens.
P.S. - it is almost 10 a.m. and I still cannot see the ground, or even the tall trees, outside my 7th-floor office window. Almost total white-out, courtesy of our proximity to Galveston Bay, Clear Lake, and lots of creeks and bayous.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
ooooh, I hate it when people don't turn their lights on in fog or rain!
Post a Comment