Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Diagnosis: Fibromyalgia

My visit to the rheumatologist at the Medical Center in Houston was worthwhile. First of all, I liked the doctor and her staff. Compassionate and business-like at the same time. We really clicked. After review of my records, a lengthy discussion, and a physical exam, she said I am a classic FM case. This may have been coming on for a while, but my 2 shingles episodes may have really set the stage for the imbalance that causes this syndrome.

I am NOT happy to have a chronic health condition. However, I am grateful to have an explanation for all the weird symptoms I've been experiencing. And I am encouraged to know that I can take charge of my health and impact my symptoms by making my health my number 1 priority.

I do feel guilty, as if taking better care of myself earlier would have prevented this. But I've learned that guilt is fruitless and a big waste of time and effort.

Today I began my new way of life. I adjusted my caffeine intake, ate healthy, drank lots of water, did moderate range of motion stretches, took a short walk, and made time for spiritual renewal. It felt good.

I discussed my diagnosis with my boss and he was very understanding and supportive. He is a great advocate of exercise, so he told me to find whatever water aerobics or other class I need to take and that I could adjust my work schedule accordingly. I did call the local YMCA and they have water aerobics classes Monday through Saturday at 9 a.m. I could do one class during the week along with the Saturday class to get started. After our vacation, I'll be putting my new physical activity plan into action.

Physically, I'm pretty tired and achy today, but my outlook is much better than it has been.

4 comments:

KinnicChick said...

Your boss sounds great. Your outlook sounds awesome. Welcome to your new life! (((hugs, hunny-bunny)))

So good to have an answer and be able to plan the attack. Forward, MARCH!

Kathy C said...

See now I'm already planning... With Keri's 1000 mile trek almost over, and my renewed health goals, Liz's workouts at the gym, we should really find a 5k walk to do next spring. A mini diva get together halfway between Texas and Wisconsin. Maybe St. Louis??

(((hugs))) On your new journey. I agree, no guilt, no looking back, onward to a better life.

Anonymous said...

From what I've read about FM, after the way it makes you feel is the way other people will try to make you feel-- like you are making it up. Don't let them get you down!!

KathyK said...

Looking forward to a great vacation, and I'm seriously considering working only 30 hours per week when I get back. Maybe till the end of the year. Just to give me time for water aerobics, yoga, and taking care of myself. We'll see - I believe in the restorative power of nature, which I plan to soak in over the next week. See you later!