I met with an advisor at University of Houston-Clear Lake this morning, to discuss my plan for getting a B.S. in Biological Sciences. UHCL offers only 3rd/4th year university classes plus graduate school, so you take any basic classes at a community college, which is where I am taking Bio I and Chem I this semester. I wanted to meet with the UH-CL advisor to find out exactly how many classes I need to take before I can enroll at UH-CL, and then how many courses I will need to obtain the degree.
I've been joking that I might finish this academic goal prior to my retirement, but I didn't realize how true that joke is.
First, I am taking the right courses this semester, and should continue with Bio II and Chem II in the spring. The question still remains, am I able to - physically and mentally.
In addition, I will have to take Physics I and II. OK, I expected that. I'll probably have to take a silly Speech communication class, but I can pick that up over the summer, I hope.
Once I complete those prerequisites, I can enroll at UH-CL and start the upper level science courses. All 30 to 36 hours of them. None of them are easy, slide-by classes -- they'll all be very involved science classes, with labs, and one or two math classes. Fortunately I had calculus I and II; unfortunately, it was more than 25 years ago, and I've never used it since. If I have to use it in one of these science classes, I'm SOL without a major refresher effort.
I'm currently taking 7 hours this semester, and it is tough. I didn't put forth enough time on my Chemistry practice problems and got an 83 on last night's test. Yes, I'm glad to get a B, but I always expect myself to get an A and am somewhat peeved at myself for not working harder. At the same time, I remind myself that I am working full time and coping with a chronic illness too.
So, I'm asking myself, is it worth all this effort just to qualify at my current workplace for a promotion? I don't know.
But the advisor asked me today, are you liking it? Yes, I'm loving it. I'm loving being challenged and learning new things. I'm fascinated by the human body and how it all works, down to the atoms of the chemicals that make up the cells of our bodies.
I still want to pursue this plan. The end might result in a career change for me! I have to remember that I have the power to determine where I want to go and what I want to do. Yes, I have a well-paying career that is pretty rewarding most of the time. But that doesn't mean I have to keep doing it for the next 25 years.
Who knows? Maybe I'll decide to work in a field related to curing cancer or fibromyalgia or obesity. Maybe I'll put everything I learn into practice in my own life and work on all those issues while I stay in my current career.
When I started writing this post, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and defeated, but I feel better now. As Trudi says, this is Cheaper Than Therapy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Blogs are a good way of voicing your thoughts - and I agree "Cheaper than Therapy." These are definately tough choices you need to make, but I know you are strong and determined enough to see it through. It's hard to see the view from the bottom of the mountain! ((hugs and love))
When you started writing the post I was just sure that by the end of it your advisor was going to suggest you look into med school!!! :0)
Keep at it as long as it is interesting and challenging-- you never know, one day you may be reading along and POW an idea is going to come to you, and that will lead you to another idea and WOW that's going to be SO COOL and then...you never know, you have to follow the energy, see where it leads. And I mean brain energy, enthusiasm, not the body energy that gets so eaasily waylaid by the illness.
Look at me. I was pretty ill. I was really down. I was sucking air. But while I was down I started pecking at my computer board, and then I started learning to code for websites. the other day I agreed to bame a little website for one of my new riding friends. She insists on paying me. So I said she could buy Midnight his new winter blunket---so there. My yucky old sickness slowly was transformed into a vibrant red coat for a shining steed :0) You just have to stick with it, see where it leads.
I agree with Katie about thinking you were going to announce going into medical school, Kathy.
If you have an idea for ridding the body of fat, use me for your lab test, okay?
My money's on you, kid!
Post a Comment