Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Massage bliss

Yesterday, after my massage, I called my husband and said, "We need to call the lawyer and change our wills."

G: "Ummm....why?"

K: "Because I want to leave half of everything to Michelle (my massage therapist)."

G: "It was that good, huh?"

I haven't been getting massages for very long. In fact, I think I was in my late thirties before I got my first one. I treated myself to a day at a spa when we were on vacation, and I got the whole works: mani, pedi, facial, and massage. I had never received any of these professionally before. What can I say - I'm not a girly girl, never have been.

I loved my first massage. After that, on occasion, I treated myself to one as an indulgence. Then, when I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I realized that massage was something therapeutic for my body and my mind and I'd better make time to get it done.

At a local day spa, I was fortunate to find a MT whose daughter has fibro, and she knew exactly how to work on me. However, the whole day spa experience, and price tag, was a little too much for me to do more than once every month or two.

When I found my chiropractor/nutrition doctor, Michelle was on her staff. She started giving me therapeutic massage and trigger point release treatments. Wow - what a difference this made in how I felt! When Michelle dediced to move to a different place, I didn't follow her at first and my body paid the price. Now, I'm a devoted regular.

3 comments:

cainnum said...

hey i just randomly landed on your blog. pretty cool. where is friendswood anyway? i'm in austin. you're one of lucky ones. i can never take a massage. i'm way to sensitive and get hurt very easily.

Kathy Howe said...

I had my first massage in my early thirties. It was a part of my physical therapy after a car accident. I don't get them regularly now but I doooooo love them! My massage god recently gave up his massage work for a career as a chef though so I'm now seeing a new massage therapist and I'm on the fence about her at the moment.

Kathy C said...

Confession time:

I've had a coupon for a massage for like ... um... three years! I made the appointment for next Tuesday.

I've had both good and bad massages, the good ones are bliss, the bad ones are torture!