Thursday, December 16, 2004

Gray Day

The weather sucks today - cold, gray, rainy. Matches my mood.

My wonderful job opportunity fell through. Turns out they had someone else in mind that V. didn't know about. They'll talk to me if the other option falls through, but they won't even interview me now.

I hate to be second choice.

I guess now it's time for me to focus on making this job one that I can stand to do without sacrificing my health. I'm waiting for the final OK to work from home - and I'm going to make it 2 days a week. I liked Keri's comment that, if I work from home 2 days a week, I'll be spending more days away from the office per week than AT the office. That's very appealing today.

Everyone at work has been extraordinarily cranky. It's not just normal holiday stress. We're looking at the huge amount of work that needs to be accomplished before the Shuttle returns to flight (in May? maybe). We're all hoping to relax over the holidays, but the gigantic workload in the New Year is hovering over us like the sword of Damocles. Short tempers, personality conflicts, finger-pointing abound. I spent 6 hours in a meeting today (should have only lasted 3 hours) with people who acted liked kindergarteners who had missed their nap-time. Lots of people are ready to snap. Hopefully, they will get the heck out of here before they do and decompress at home.

After gloating about having my Christmas shopping done early for the very first time in my life, I must admit that I left those presents sitting in their original shipping cartons until last night, when a frenzied few hours were spent wrapping and packing for shipment to Philadelphia and New Jersey. What good is it to get shopping done early if you procrastinate on the wrapping? I'm so goofy sometimes.

I forgot what a challenge it is to wrap gifts in the presence of a curious kitten. Gracie left her mark on all the presents, but the family members will understand. They all have pets (dogs, cats, ferrets, guinea pigs and Lord knows what else by now). My nieces and nephews love animals of all kinds.


2 comments:

KinnicChick said...

I'm sorry about the job falling through, Kathy. That had to be such a disappointment. I'm glad you can still see the bright side of being home four/seven days a week, though! :) Yippee!

And I hope that when you say Gracie "left her mark" it isn't "the mark" I immediately think of with animals. ;) I always think of male animals marking their territory with that statement. I don't think anyone is as understanding about that kind of mark, however. So I assume you mean little claw tears or tooth marks or something. *chuckle*

KathyK said...

LOL, Keri! No, she didn't piddle on the presents, she put neat little tooth-puncture marks in the wrappings, especially bows.