Saturday, December 11, 2004

This and That

Today has been a weird day. George has some kind of stomach bug so he's been taking it easy today. As a result, I am taking it easy too. We watched Kelsey Grammer (TV's Frasier) star in a new Scrooge musical. It didn't follow the original Dickens' A Christmas Carol very closely - I much prefer the old Albert Finney version. My grandfather took me to see that one in the movie theater when I was a kid. Good memories.

We also watched a made for TV movie called the Twelve Days Before Christmas. A cross between Groundhog Day and Scrooged, two Bill Murray movies. Kind of hokey but OK for a lazy afternoon.

Yesterday, out of the blue, I was asked if I'd be interested in a new position in another department within the Space Shuttle Program. I was blindsided, because this woman manager V. knows about my health problem and my plan to work from home one day a week. It would be a dream-come-true job for me, working for the best manager in the program. I would be learning a whole new aspect of mission planning, scheduling and manifesting, but I would be able to use all the things I've learned in the past too.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I'm really excited. I am sooo burned out in my current job, I think the burnout is contributing to depression which makes my FM symptoms worse. I need to find out more about the details of the job, but I told V. that yes, I'm interested, and call my former boss Milt if you want a reference. This unexpected event really perked my spirits up. I worked extremely closely with V. during the Columbia investigation and apparently she was favorably impressed.

That's what I like about Life - you never know what's coming next. For a long time, it seemed to me like those "surprises" were all negative. I was worried that my natural optimism was defeated. I don't think so any more. I get up every day expecting it to be a good day. Otherwise, what's the point?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Amanda

This is fantastic news Kathy, you are right, you just never know what is coming up next. You deserve this opportunity. Wouldn't it be a great way to start the new year ?

KinnicChick said...

This is great news, Kathy! Thrilled to hear it. I hope it works out for you!