Monday, December 06, 2004

Learning to Take Care of Myself

I'm taking a step forward in my new program for taking excellent care of myself. This is not my natural inclination; however, I'm being forced to focus my priorities by the challenge of fibromyalgia. I am putting together a plan for working from home one to two days per week.

I found out that the federal government has several programs that I can use, including flexiplace (telecommuting) and official part-time status. I'm not ready to go part time yet, but the idea that I won't have to get myself together and go into the office one or two days per week is a great stress reducer.

One of the symptoms of fibromyalgia is "cognitive dificulties," known affectionately as Fibro Fog. In addition to memory problems, I have a newly discovered difficulty in concentrating on some tasks. In my office environment, where someone is always walking in with a question or calling on the phone, it has become increasingly difficult to get some detailed projects done. I share a very cramped office with another person, so closing my door to get some privacy is not an option.

Anyway, I think I can accomplish so much more if I work from home, checking phone mail and e-mail and tying in to meetings by phone. I'm getting really excited about this! I received guidelines from my Human Resources dept. today and I'm putting together a proposal to take to my boss on Wednesday. Wish me luck!

Later addition:
If I had any doubt about the fact that the past few years have been a process of growth for me, this post reveals it clearly. A few years ago, I would have viewed making a request to work from home as completely nuts, something I would never do in a million years. Choosing to remove myself, even part time, from the day-to-day operations of the office would have meant eliminating chances for promotion, etc. That used to be really important to me - not any more.

3 comments:

KinnicChick said...

Great news, Kathy! I hope it works out well for you. I'm excited about this new schedule opportunity and I hope your boss is open to the idea!

Anonymous said...

It's me anonymous again.... Amanda
Kathy I think it is great that you are using the opportunities that are available to make your work life work for you. I would love to attend a meeting in my Pj's with breakfast (vegemite) still on my face - oh yeah I do that already....(haha, just kidding). Using the technology that is available to us is what it is all about. Good luck when you meet with your boss.

Kathy C said...

Good luck Kathy. It is good to hear you have found a way to continue to work, and take "excellant" care of yourself. I hope your meeting goes well.