Today is my 15 year anniversary as a________ government agency (those who know me can fill in the blank) employee.
I reported for duty the day after Labor Day, 1990, took my oath as a civil servant and promptly was told I might be laid off because Congress had not yet passed a budget so we were operating under a continuing resolution. Made me wonder about the wisdom of my choice of jobs.
Then, when I went to my office, they were moving the entire floor of offices so I had nowhere to go. I was sent to the technical library to read huge thick requirements documents for the day. Not an auspicious beginning. It got better from there.
Fifteen years is a milestone, because my vacation time (annual leave in gov-speak) has been earned at the same rate since I had my three year anniversary. We don't get an increase between 3 years and 15 years, but now I'm running with the big dogs in the leave earning category. Too bad I use it almost as soon as I earn it!
This milestone also means that I have worked in the space biz for over 19 years. I came to work out here in July 1986 as a temporary employee for a contractor, then got a permanent gig for a contractor until I found the _____government job.
Damn, I'm an old fart! How come I don't feel that way (most days, anyway)?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How come you don't feel like an old fart because you've been at this __________ government agency for 19 years?
The answer's simple: you lied about your age. Did you have big boobs then or didja hafta stuff Kleenex down your undershirt?
I've had big boobs since I was 11 years old.
I came to work at my present location the following year, of course!!
Oh, Beanie, you do make me laugh!
Beanie makes everybody laugh. It's because she snorts so damn cute.
Post a Comment