Is it just me, or do other people work themselves into a frenzy before they leave on vacation, and then have to work just as hard to catch up when they return?
I'm having pre-vacation anxiety, about work and especially about school. I have a tremendous amount of reading and memorization to accomplish, and I'll be having exams in both biology and chemistry when I get back from Lake Austin. Yuk.
I've been tremendously busy with brushfires at work and therefore did not get to complete all the tasks I had planned. As a special treat, tomorrow - my last day at work for a week - we have the dreaded "off-site retreat." Our office is getting together to brainstorm and plan a roadmap for the next 6 months to a year and beyond.
I truly hate this kind of activity. We don't even know for sure what we'll be doing next week; trying to predict what will happen in a year seems futile and frustrating to me since we have little control of our own destiny. Planning specific projects makes sense, but playing "what-if" and dreaming up what other work we could be doing seems silly to me. My boss is a huge suck-up to management so he's always looking for ways to make a name for himself. It's disgusting.
I'd probably be more receptive to the "fun" if I wasn't thinking of all the loose ends I should be tying up instead of doing "team-building" exercises.
At least we won't be doing the team-building exercise our support contractor did one year. They tried to take a bunch of middle-aged pencil-pushers on a canoe trip for "team-building."
Three people required first aid and one had to be transported to the hospital!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment