On this day after Thanksgiving, I decline to participate in the mass frenzy of consumer overpurchasing called Black Friday.
I've never gone out to the mall shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. Ever. I don't enjoy shopping much anyway, and crowds freak me out even more. So I've effectively removed myself from this movement in the past.
This year, I took it even further. Any Christmas gifts I give will be consumables - tea, coffee, treats, or stuff I know the receiver will use, with enjoyment. I don't want to be responsible for adding to the clutter in people's lives. When I can, I'll be creating memories with people, rather than plying them with presents that will lie forgotten in a cabinet somewhere.
Today, I blessed myself and others by sorting through our closets with a critical eye. I filled 1 box and 3 large bags with suits, coats, dresses, and other clothing we no longer wear, and I'm donating them to charity.
As I packed away my summer clothes (yes, I know it's November but we still have the a/c on here in my part of Texas), I folded them and said, "Goodbye, capri pants, tank top! Next year, when I unpack you, you will be too big for me to wear and I'll release you to someone else who will love you better."
I feel loads lighter. In many ways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are a wise woman, Kath...
Post a Comment