Monday, November 07, 2005

There Oughta Be a Law

As I drive to work every morning, I cross an overpass over a busy freeway. When I get to the other side of the freeway, traffic always gets a little complicated because cars are merging onto my route after exiting the freeway. It backs up sometimes, but a little patience allows everyone to get through without major problem (mostly).

This morning, as I reached the peak of the overpass, traffic came to a dead stop. When I inched along I could see that a big truck was blocking the right lane, causing three lanes of traffic to merge into one. I thought, wow, there must be some emergency road repair going on for them to block this busy intersection at rush hour.

As I approached the work crew, I could not believe my eyes.


They were installing Christmas decorations on the light pole.

Monday morning rush hour, on November the 7th, they were installing holiday decorations. WTF???

I guess we should just declare mid-October through mid-January one big "holiday" season and do away with any distinction between Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Hannukah, Christmas, New Years, what have you.

Holidays cease to be special when you dilute the observation by spreading it out over months and months.

Bah friggin' humbug.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goes to show you, common sense in city government (an oxymoron?) is lacking everywhere.

Love that license plate!

Kathy C said...

Agreed. The day after Halloween we were driving around and were noticing how many people have their Holiday lights up AND on. Blah!

Anonymous said...

"bah friggin' humbug" is right!

or as my Word Verification would have it "xuwkfjk!"

The big shopping mall up the hill started lighting up in September this year. In a Muslim country. That "target" holiday is New Year's: one day!!

KinnicChick said...

oy. I could NOT believe it when I saw stores filling up with Christmas merchandise weeks before Halloween.