Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Mrs. Scrooge

Not having kids myself, and not having little ones nearby to play with, I find Christmas less and less satisfying as the years have gone by. I used to go through the motions of the decorating and the overspending and the cooking on a grand scale, but a few years ago I learned to pare down to what was meaningful to me, and those closest to me.

Last year the holidays were difficult, because they were the first ones since Dad died. We didn't make a big deal over the holidays, and we kind of liked it. My mom even mentioned several times that maybe we'd want to take a cruise or travel at Christmas in future years.

Mom has been pretty down lately. She had the crud that has been making the rounds, but it's been more than that. Her spirits are so low, and since I'm her main outlet and support, I feel like I need to "fix" things for her.
I'm aware enough to know that I can't do that, but it is still frustrating for me, and I feel my own depression kicking in again.

George and I have been discussing how all three of us need a change of scenery. But the idea of traveling to a place for Christmas, and knowing that all the people who are working would rather be with their own families, was kind of depressing to me.

Tonight, while watching the Travel Channel, we made our selection. We are going to Vegas over Christmas! I mean, every day is the same in Vegas - they all want your money on any day of the year. We'll be able to see some shows, take a ride out to Hoover Dam, and just do whatever we feel like.

We just called Mom, and she is all excited over the idea. Me too.

Call me Mrs. Scrooge, but the traditional holiday thing is just not working for me right now. So I'm gonna make it into something me and my loved ones will enjoy.

3 comments:

Kathy C said...

Bravo to you too Kathy. Sounds like a wonderful idea for everyone! Congrats on your exam too!

KinnicChick said...

Sounds like great fun!

We're traveling, too, actually... We're going to New Mexico... Not much in the way of travel for Keith as he's there most of the time, but it will be the last opportunity for Keli and me. We're closing up the apartment as Keith is moving back here to start back at his most recent contract in Chanhassan next month. :( I mean it's good that he doesn't have to travel, but I will really miss the NM opportunities.

I didn't get down there nearly as much as I wanted to. We'll be in the apartment a few days and then moving to a beautiful hotel right next to the old (not like Turkey old but relatively old for THIS country!) Loretto Chapel.

Anonymous said...

The holidays should be about traditions and family. You're starting a new tradition with yours, Kathy, and that has to feel pretty darn good.

What a great solution!

Say hello to Elvis for me.