Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Winds of Change

In response to my last post about needing a career change, Katie asked me if a career change would be that horrible.

As a matter of fact, it is an idea I've been flirting with for a while now. My job satisfaction has been dwindling rapidly lately, and morale (not just mine) is pretty low. We are not flying, and even when we do return to flight, the Shuttle will be retired by 2010 -- if not sooner.

My logical career move would be to one of the new Exploration offices. And my recent return to school was intended to enable me to obtain a job classification that would give me more options in my current environment.

But as I've been studying biology and chemistry this semester, I've been thinking more and more that a career in microbiology or biotechnology might be more to my liking. While my current employer has some limited opportunities in this field, candidates are usually quite advanced before they are hired. Once I obtained the new degree, I would be starting out at entry level and probably would have to change employers.

This prospect is a bit scary for several reasons. I just recently hit my 15-year anniversary at work. That brings extra vacation, in addition to the great benefits I already receive.

Another reason is, I make a pretty good salary. In my younger days, I never dreamed I would have found a somewhat lucrative career path. After all, if money was a prime motivator for me, I would not have majored in English for my first degree! George and I have had some serious discussions about what a pay cut would mean to our lifestyle, and we are both OK with that. I recognize how fortunate I am, to be able to make such a choice.

So, I really am researching some new career paths. It will take me quite some time to achieve the education I need to make the change, but what the heck. I will be 44 years old later this month - if I'm going to make a big change, I'd better get on with it!

With any luck, they will abolish my current job and give me some money for incentive or retraining that would allow me to go to school full-time for a little while. Stranger things have happened.

My ideal job would involve some tiny contribution to fighting and curing cancer. This could be the next big passion in my life -- besides George, of course!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A tiny contribution to cancer? Go for it!

My sister made the move a few years back. A biology major, she graduated as a medical technologist and worked in hospital labs before becoming a lab supervisor. After reaching her goal, she realized she hated it. HATED it!!! Besides having no respect by the doctors there, she also had to oversee former friends...and spent more and more time dealing with personnel issues.

She made the leap into Oncology, working in a lab, making a tiny contriibution to eradicating cancer. And she's happier than I've ever seen her.

Quality of life is more dependent on being blissful than on material things.

You'll make the right decision for you, Kathy K, and your Diva friends will be behind you all the way, cheering!

Love you!

Kathy C said...

Behind you all the way is righto! I agree about the money/quality of life debate. You have to be happy...

KinnicChick said...

oooh... I can see it now... another diva makes the leap into fighting cancer. I'm trying to figure out my own career in that very field, dear! not the science end of things, of course, but under the ACS umbrella. I may have to custom make a job, but they need me. I just KNOW they do! ;)