Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Quandary

What to do, what to do?

I have an opportunity to have a private office.

Right now, I share an office with 2 ladies on my team. A third will be joining us shortly. Four of us in this bullpen space is going to be cramped.

However, my chief rival (another team lead) is going on a rotational tour of duty for another office. Supposedly it is for a year but we all expect it to be permanent. No one will be too sad over it.

Anyway, she has had a small private office since we moved into this area 4 years ago. My boss just asked me if I want to move in there.

Part of me says, HELL YES!! I'm a team lead too, other leads have private offices. Why shouldn't I? Of course, there are pros and cons to each alternative.

Being co-located with the major team members allows me to be immersed and involved in the day to day activities. This is both a pro and a con. I am constantly drawn into solving problems just because of my proximity. I want these folks to assume responsibility for this stuff. They are very capable. Just me being there, I think, makes them think they need to get my blessing on things.

Also, I am unable to concentrate on some longer-term strategic activities that need to be done. We have constant traffic and conversations in here. It's a small room and I just can't shut it out, even with earbuds and my favorite music. The private office is by no means luxurious. It is slightly bigger than a closet but it does have a window, with the same view I enjoy now.

Drawback to private office: closer proximity to micromanager Boss.
Advantage to private office: have a door to close to prevent ambushes by micromanager Boss.

OK, enough rambling. I need to sketch out the real pros and cons, from an organizational perspective, and see what's what.

But a little part of me wants to be totally selfish and say "I want the office - the hell with other considerations!!"

2 comments: