Saturday, March 26, 2005

80s Restrospective

The potential for me to provide a spectacular 80s retrospective of hair and fashion faux pas is severely limited by my lack of a scanner.

Sorry to disappoint my eager readers - perhaps the Easter bunny will leave a multifunction scanner/printer/copier in my basket instead of chocolate.

George has access to a scanner at work, but I wouldn't dare send him to work with such incriminating pictures of myself. Who knows where they would be posted? I don't want to attend his retirement party and see a bunch of goofy pictures of us flashed before us. It seems to be a requirement for retirement parties around here to create a photo montage of the honoree (and SO) with embarrassing pictures from the past.

It's hard to embarrass men with pictures from the past because a) they never want to be in pictures in the first place (George tells me I used up my photo allotment for him with all our wedding pictures - he'd be happy to never have another photo of himself taken); b) unless they were extremely influenced by trends, their fashion blunders can be far less drastic.

I can say that we've had some good laughs at parties for retiring NASA guys, because we could trace the evolution of their careers by the photos: pencil-necked geeks in white shirts, skinny ties, clunky black glasses and crew cuts of the 60s; groovy mod hair and sideburns from the early 70s (or, heaven forbid, the dreaded curly perm ala the Brady Bunch dad); spreading waistlines and receding hairlines of the 80s; and the graying, elder statesman look of the 90s.

My fashion sense has never been very trendy or daring, so I'm not sure how many photos I'll discover to illustrate 80s fashion blunders. I was in college from 1980-1984, and was too old to be influenced by the leg warmer, parachute pants, and cut-up sweatshirt looks. The daily uniform was jeans and sweatshirts for class, and jeans and a sweater for going out.

Oooh, I just remembered a picture of myself I'll have to find - from 1988, on a cruise. We were living in Texas and met up with a bunch of our old school buddies in Miami and went on a cruise of the Carribbean. I had a longer, looser perm (had I not learned my lesson?) and really went to town on the eyeshadow and makeup for the dress-up dinner on the ship.

OK, I think I'll buy a scanner this weekend. This could be really funny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you were serious about getting a scanner because I want to see those photos!! :)

KathyK said...

Katie - I ordered a combo scanner/copier/printer this weekend. I'll be a photo-posting fool once it arrives and I figure out how to operate it!

Kathy C said...

OOOHHH I can't wait to see the picture Kathy.

I will have to post my own 80's retrospective soon. Hopefully this week I will get to my bins of photos. My mother is retiring in July and my brothers and I have been invited to her retirement. My oldest is putting together a slide show (similar to what you were talking about) so I have to dig into the pictures anyway!