Sunday, March 13, 2005

My Struggle, Part 2

I felt like I took a real emotional risk by posting about my struggle a few days ago. It took me a long time to admit all that stuff to myself, and putting it in black and white for others to see was a big step for me.

I feel like I need to add some more information. The journey I have been on over the past few years has helped me get to know myself in a much deeper way. It helped me realize that I can be less than perfect and it's still OK. I am much more comfortable with myself than I have ever been in my life. If life had been somewhat normal over the past 2 years, I think I would be in a much better place and probably would have done the work I need to do to deal with my overeating/weight problems.

Of course, my friends know that the past 2 years have been quite unusual, to say the least. The Shuttle accident rocked my work world, and my emotional world, in ways that I could have never imagined. The amount of work, and the intensity of the investigation, was mind-boggling. It felt as if everything that had been secure in my work life (and I was relying on my work life to assure my value as a person) was turned upside down.

Just as I became immersed in the Columbia investigation, my father was diagnosed with a form of leukemia. His treatments, and subsequent diagnosis of lung cancer, shifted my perspective on life and living completely. I re-evaluated my entire value system and came to some important realizations.

I'm not repeating all this to say, Poor Me. What I have come to understand is: if all this hadn't happened, I may have had more time and energy to devote to my personal "growth." However, the adversity I faced demanded that I develop a keener understanding of the value of balance in life and shift my perspective on life and death. In these ways, I have grown tremendously as a human. While I didn't deal with my eating/overweight issues, I learned so much more through the trials. Although I would rather have not gone through this heartache, I can see that it has all worked for my good, in the end. I am a more compassionate and more loving person than I was before.

If I had not done the emotional and mental work about my past issues a few years ago, I really don't know whether I would have survived the past 2 years. I don't think I would have been ready, or open, to the lessons I've learned about myself, others and the world in general.

I thought I would be able to get back to my healing journey but took a detour when my health became an issue for me. I was really thrown off-balance by finding out I have a chronic disease. But I am realizing this is the next lesson I had to learn, or have reinforced. It is forcing me to evaluate my life and realize that I can take control and choose where I expend my limited energy, to make my life be the way I want (within my physical limitations). It has taken a little while, but I'm feeling a lot better emotionally now.

So, now it's time for me to face up to this unhealthy eating I do and delve into the real reasons for it. Maybe I needed to do all this growth before I could finally face the issue. I'm feeling optimistic that I'm better equipped to be successful now, at this point in my life, than I have ever been.

I'm going to do this, and be successful.

I know this in my heart of hearts.

And that's what is different this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checking to see if the comments are working yet.

KinnicChick said...

"I'm going to do this, and be successful.

I know this in my heart of hearts.

And that's what is different this time."


That's HUGE! What a celebration of life... Mwah! Big hugs and kisses to you my dear.

(Sorry I've been so absent of late. Getting the kid ready for Japan has me taking less time for blogwalking AND commenting in combination.)