Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Okay, Okay, I'll do it

Both Keri and Katie tagged me to do the book meme, and since I hate to let my friends down, here it is.

The Book Meme

What book would I like to be?

Not a clue – I’ve never imagined myself as a book. I like Trudi’s idea of being a dictionary, though.

Have I ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Yes, my earliest was on a boy in the Trixie Belden mystery series when I was very young. Later, I had crushes on every hero in Jane Austen’s novels, especially Mr. Darcy.

What is the last book I bought?

Boring – Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome: A Survival Guide and The CFIDS/Fibromyalgia Tool Kit.

What is the last book I read?

Safe Return Doubtful: The Heroic Age of Polar Exploration, and Failure is Not An Option by Gene Kranz (a memoir of a retired space program icon – I work with his daughter, too). If you saw the movie Apollo 13, Ed Harris played Mr. Kranz.

I almost forgot – Roadside History of Utah. I try to get a local history book whenever I travel to a new spot.

What book(s) am I currently reading?

The Bible (a daily study program to read through the entire Bible in a year); The Hunger Within and various other “fix-me-up” books as required.

What five books would I take with me if I was stranded on a desert island?

1. The Bible, with a good concordance, dictionary and commentary included.

2. The collected works of Jane Austen (including her letters – because her observations of other people make me laugh out loud)

3. A book on the fauna and flora of the region I was stranded in (especially for tips as to what’s edible!)

4. Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

5. The collected works of Shakespeare, including the sonnets.

2 comments:

KinnicChick said...

Now see, I don't find this boring at all. So I'm glad you did it! You Darcy lover you... :) Me too!

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, I confess: I am a Mr. Darcy lover too (but still not as much as Shadowfax!), but I have to add that I prefer Mr. Knightly in Emma.

I don't think this is boring at all. On the contrary, seeing what other people are reading is really interesting.
Safe Return Doubtful: The Heroic Age of Polar Exploration
sounds really interesting. Does it include the Shackelton expedition? That era of exploration is becoming a new fixation for me, I think. I loved the movie Captain and Commander mostly because of the captain's best friend, who was a naturalist. Seeing the Galapagos Islands as he discovered them opened my mind. I've always been a medievalist, but this is changing into an interesting the early industrial age.

You see, get me talking...anyway, thanks for the list :)