Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Sshhhh - don't tell anyone I'm here!

Today is my day to work from home, and I'm having a hard time keeping my mind on work. We finally have sunshine, and I think I need to take a walk outside to enjoy the sunshine in a little while. It would be therapeutic, maybe even medically necessary.

Lately it has been hard to keep my mind on work, even while physically present in the office. We are in the crunch time right now, approaching a launch currently scheduled for May 15. The hardware is all fixed and getting ready to go, but the amount of paperwork and analyses that must be completed is formidable. People are burnt out, tempers are short, and it's not fun. But it will all be worth it when we return to flight.

Apparently, I have a reputation at work as a problem solver. I must admit, this gives my ego a boost. But lately, people have been bringing me problems -- which some co-workers crudely but accurately refer to as "flaming turds"-- dropping them on the table in front of me, and then rapidly departing. Leaving me to extinguish and dispose of said F. T. as best I can.

I often have fantasies of working all by myself - being totally responsible for what goes into my work, producing it myself, and completing it. My job rarely has tasks that I can sit back and say, "There! That's done!" and heave a sigh of relief. It's the nature of the work, but it wears on me sometimes.

I think that's why I'm enjoying my cross-stitch hobby again. I can actually see progress as the little stitches come together to make a design. George refers to it as my therapy, and I think there's more truth in that term than he realizes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee-- "flaming turds"---I often refer to theses as feces, especially when I have a big pile of them.

Have you ever watched Flaming Bag of Poo?