Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Kidney Test Fun

I had the kidney test performed yesterday - no results yet but I don't expect to find any problems.

The preparation was more, um, difficult than I remembered. Since I developed irritable bowel syndrome as a part of my fibromyalgia, I think the prep was more harsh on my system. I also was not supposed to drink anything after 9 p.m. Monday (after having 8 oz of water every hour on the hour all day).

By the time I arrived at the medical center up in Houston, I was really dehydrated. Which wouldn't be a problem, except they had to find a vein to put the IV dye into. The techs made a few unsuccessful attempts and finally called in the radiologist dr. to do it. The test itself was not bad, but having to lay flat on a hard x-ray table for an hour aggravated my FM pain. My back muscles started to spasm and I was close to tears (not a normal occurrence for me, at least not for physical pain).

After the test, I discovered that the contrast solution really irritated my bladder (which is where my real problem is, I believe) and it caused me a lot of pain until this morning.

Anyway, I won't have the results until next week (unless something really bad shows up).

One of my FM books describes fibromyalgia as "Irritable Everything." I'm finding that to be an accurate description -- including my mood!

I can't believe Easter is this Sunday - where have I been? No candy in our house, but I'll probably cook a nice dinner. Maybe a turkey - I love turkey, and we went out to dinner on Thanksgiving. That's usually when I cook my annual turkey - and that's enough until the following year.

I see that everyone is doing 80s retrospectives on their blogs - maybe I'll catch up this weekend. I could post some really awful pictures - starting with my poodle perm in our wedding pictures, circa 1984. Oy, what was I thinking??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I want to see the wedding photo!! This 80s retrospective is hilarious.

Sorry to hear that your test experience was so irritating. It's stressful enough just having tests done, and then to have unexpected side effects must make it so...grrrr...

Gecmis olsun ("May it pass")

KinnicChick said...

Looking forward to seeing that photo! :)

Sorry to hear about the irritable testing syndrome! heh... sorry. now you've got irritable joke syndrome. HA!

ugh.

Love ya sweetie. Hang in there. (What else?) Did you see Markus posted a photo over on his blog of the latest shuttle crew? He doesn't often talk about that side of work. It was a nice post. Might have to dig into his archives at this point to find it, though... He doesn't post more than a few days on a page.