Monday, January 10, 2005

Flexibility is the Key

I'm learning to live with fibromyalgia. Besides the physical adjustments, there are mental ones as well. Instead of being depressed because things are different, I'm trying to be accepting and be a little creative in my problem-solving. Instead of just saying, that can't be done, I'm learning to ask. Getting approved for telecommuting from home one day a week was the first big step.

I had been enrolled in a warm-water aquatic therapy class at a local rehab hospital. The only problem is, there was only room in the 8 a.m. class. I tried it for several weeks but it was really draining. Mornings are difficult for most FM people, and then having to go to work immediately afterward was sapping all my energy. So I dropped out.

Last week, I spoke with the lady that runs the program and explained my situation. I asked her to put me on the waiting list for the late class (4 p.m.). She said, no waiting list, you just come to the class. I was really surprised and grateful. So, this afternoon I'll do the therapy on my way home from work. Dinner is leftovers, and then I can just relax. I would never have thought to just transfer to the later class, because it is very popular and I understood it had a long waiting list. But I learned all I had to do was ask.

Another thing that has been bothering me is the Spring women's retreat at my church. It's held at a not-too-distant location but you stay at the hotel for the weekend. The teaching is fabulous. Last year I shared a room with 3 other ladies who I'd never met before. It was like a pajama party. It really was a time of spiritual renewal and fun.

Anyway, I was thinking that I would not attend this year due to my fibromyalgia. I couldn't see myself being able to do all my self-care stuff in a room with a bunch of other women. Then I realized that I could pay to have my own room. I'm thankful that I can do that financially. This way, I can rest or nap when I need to, do my heat treatments or stretching in private, etc. My first thought was that others might think I was anti-social. Then I asked myself, what would I think if someone else was reserving a private room for medical reasons? I'd think, that's great that she is taking care of herself and finding a way to participate too. So, now I have a plan.

These are not huge problems, but they are helping me think in a little different way. It helps me feel like I'm learning to cope better and more constructively.

Oh, and after 1 full week on Weight Watchers, I lost 2 pounds. Yay me!


3 comments:

Kathy C said...

You are making such great choices for yourself, it is inspiring to see the graceful way you are handling this illness.

Congrats on the 2 lb loss!

Anonymous said...

From Amanda

Kathy congrats on thinking things around to achieve results, what a great attitude, also on the 2 pounds gone, never to be seen again !!!!

KinnicChick said...

Kathy, I am so very proud of you. You have really taken such a wonderful attitude toward the FM. I cannot imagine being diagnosed with such an etherial illness. It cannot be easy at all. I know that you will probably have your ups and downs along this journey, but the downs will be so much easier when you can look back and see the ups you've had along the way and remember them. And now you'll have the blog to help you remember them, too! :)