Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Oh, the joys of Fibromyalgia....

This post may contain TMI for the squeamish, so you are forewarned if you don't want to read medical stuff and whining.

Let me start with a positive statement: I am glad to be diagnosed with fibromyalgia, since it explains the variety of weird things that happen to my body. I am grateful that it is not a degenerative or deadly disease.

However....it still sucks. Along with the debilitating fatigue and overall pain, there are a bunch of other syndromes that often come along with fibromyalgia. I found out that I wasn't just catching a frequent stomach virus - I have irritable bowel syndrome. OK, I am learning to deal with that.

I also learned that it is not normal for a person's legs to feel electrified when the lay in bed at night and it is not a usual thing to keep your legs moving all the time, and wake up with your legs jumping. Say hello to restless legs syndrome, which contributes to the sleep and fatigue problems of FM. There are meds that can help, thank goodness.

Now, I am finding out that the weird things that show up periodically in my urinalysis and have no other explanation (after undertaking fun tests like IVP) are probably symptoms of interstitial cystitis. Oh joy!

I'll probably have to have an invasive test to rule out bladder cancer or other problems for certain. But this looks like another auto-immune disorder that commonly affects FM people, and I probably have it.

My family doctor asked me, do you have pain? My first reaction is to always answer, No! I realize that I have been living with pain for such a long time, and just thinking it was to be expected and ignoring it, that I'm not a very good judge. I'm in pain (of varying degrees) all the time, in different places. I just keep going until a sharp pain takes my breath away or makes me cry. I've cut off the connection to my body so efficiently over the years that I'm not a very good judge of my own pain levels.

Now, I'm not looking for pain. I just want to be able to listen to my body and hear what it's telling me. I'm starting to get better about it. And I'm getting better at recognizing true physical hunger vs emotional hunger. As I make this connection, I'm beginning to lose a little weight which is a good thing.

This journey isn't easy. But nothing worthwhile ever is. I know I will grow from all these experiences -- but I still reserve the right to whine a little bit along the way.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never TMI! Never! It's only by sharing such details that outher people can be helped. Like me. Now I wonder if I might have restless leg syndrome. Lately, while watching TV in the evenings, my legs get fidgety and I *have to* move them, stretch them. When I am at the computer this happens too. Hmmm....time for a little research!

KinnicChick said...

Whine away, my dear. I don't ever consider it whining, so if that's what you feel you are doing, feel free. It is just interesting details of the happenings of your daily dealings with this new phase of your life to me. We are learning about your symptoms. Just as you have learned so many things about Keith's symptoms. Just as I wish we'd hear a little more about what's been happening with Colleen's Dad and just as I was always happy to hear more of Katie's goings on (and never got enough, by the way) or what is happening in Trudi's journey. Because hearing about their journey always seems to help me on my own.

Love you sweetie. I'm sorry for the pains and the difficulties. Never feel that you cannot share. I'm glad that you do.

Kathy C said...

I agree with KK and Keri, it's not TMI and not whining, merely sharing. You have to let it out somewhere, why not here where we can sympathize, learn and comfort?

Mucho caring ((hugs))