Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Blogging

I'm re-thinking this whole blogging thing.

Number one, my life is so boring, I get bored writing about it. Why would anyone want to read it?

Number two, I know the next month or so is going to be very intense for me. Is it productive use of my time to whine about it, publicly?

Three, I originally hoped that posting about my fibromyalgia experience might help me connect with someone else out "there" going through a similar journey. Haven't managed that yet.

Four, I have become addicted to looking for comments. When I blog about something, I'm sometimes putting myself out there, at emotional risk. I crave feedback to validate my feelings. Of course, people have real lives to live outside of Blogland, and they don't always put the same priority on commenting as I do. And they shouldn't! I could liken it to an old habit of mine - weighing myself every day (sometimes more often) and letting the scale determine whether it was a good day or a bad day. Now, I'm cheered when I find a comment and bummed when I don't. The blog shouldn't have such importance to me.

I often look at my sitemeter and can see who has been visiting me. Especially for repeat visitors, I wonder - do they come back because they liked something I wrote, do they find my observations humorous or pitiful, or what?

Anyway, I'm re-thinking this whole thing. I'll let you know what conclusions I reach.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Kathy C said...

I'm not sure whether to keep blogging either Kathy...

I do enjoy your blog. It gives me a deeper understanding of you.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way some days, but then I look at how much pleasure I get out of reading your blog, and that of KathyC and Keri and Trudi, and reading about your lives and your perspectives, and I do think it is worth it. To battle that "who's reading" compulsion, I'm planning on removing the stat counter from my blog. I stopped looking at it some time ago.

Through reading your blog, you have become very dear to me. We were friends before but now I feel like we are FRIENDS and I would do anything for you--including making a new doll that looks more like you!

So you get busy and don't post often. Go on a little hiatus. But don't completely check out.

Maybe we can all discuss this more on the Diva forum.

KinnicChick said...

Are you pinging? First thing I do when I sign on the computer is check for comments. Second thing I do is run down my blogroll and check for blogs that have updated, ie. pinged lately and show up as having updated on my list. Sometimes, telling blogger in the setup that you want them to ping whenever you compile or submit isn't enough. If you notice that you aren't showing up as updated when you have , you may need to manually ping. Come ask me if you need more details.

I rarely check stats anymore either. I used to check it compulsively. Now I look at the total number every couple of days to see what it is doing. Once in a while if there is someone unusual who leaves a comment I might go see where they came from.

But about you.... I'd really miss your blog if you stopped. I love learning more about your life and your illness and your thoughts. Same with Trudi and Katie and KathyC. I sometimes go a bit of time (especially right now in crunch time) without checking or commenting if I don't know if you've updated, but it doesn't mean I'm not interested. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think all of you lead fascinating lives and because when you post in your blogs you've had to sit down and thoughtfully put something together rather than just answer a quick question out on the forum, I love to read these. They mean a lot to me. :) I hope you stick it out if you want to.