I had my second visit with my nutritionist doctor today, and I continue to be pleased with her approach. Our first step is going to be to improve my digestive/gut functioning. I've been having all kinds of problems there, and she believes that I may not be absorbing nutrients properly or not processing food-to-energy well because of problems in there. I'm starting a few probiotic supplements that I've taken on a limited basis before.
Now, here's the real challenge: she wants me to do an elimination diet, for the next 2 weeks. I'm going to do without almost every food I love for two weeks, and then add specific categories of food back into my diet, one at a time. My challenge, should I choose to accept it is - no dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese); no wheat; no peanuts; no eggs, no soy. Yikes. I feel very apprehensive about this.
What will I eat? Fish, chicken, fruits and vegetables. I forgot to ask if I can have rice or oats. I don't know what I'll eat for breakfast - fruit alone is not enough to get me fueled in the morning!
I am going to do this, mainly because I really want to feel better. A side benefit will be dropping some pounds.
I've been trying to wrap my mind around the concept that food is a fuel, not a narcotic - and what I put into my body (or don't put in) has a direct affect on my physical well-being. This is an idea that I have known in my head for years - but my heart doesn't accept it. At least, it has refused to accept it in the past. I feel like I'm closer to really understanding this, and putting it into practice, than I have ever been before.
This is something I have to do. It might sound like no big deal to some people, but this is a huge deal for me. Even the foods I eat when I'm trying to be "good" are off limits. Yogurt, cheese, whole wheat bread and pasta, peanut butter on celery sticks -- all are no-no's now.
I've got to do some grocery shopping tomorrow! Wish me luck - I'm going to need all the help I can get.
Oh yeah - work continues to suck, and will get worse before it gets better. I'm very tired of all things space-related at the moment, and that is unusual for me. I just want to get through this week - that's my goal.
Thursday is the first anniversary of my Dad's death. I will be spending at least 8 hours that day stuck in a conference room with a bunch of unreasonable people. I can't wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
(((hug))) from Istanbul, I guess mostly for your dad's death anniversary. My dad's is on the 18th. I always have popcorn on that day in his honor-- kind of silly, but in our house when I was growing up, popcorn was 100% communal. You could not make it and not share.
Anyway...I think this treatment approach sounds smart. Difficult, but you can stick it out for two weeks if it means finding out if something or another is more trouble than it's worth. I'm curious to learn what they find. I was surprised to find out last year when I had allergy skin tests done that I am allergic to rice and egg whites-- and cats and dogs. And barley.
I'm waiting with baited breath (that phrase always reminds me of Opus the penguin from the 80s)
Post a Comment