Friday, April 15, 2005

Things I'm Thankful For

Today, I am thankful for the beautiful Spring weather that is a joy to behold.

I am thankful for good friends, who care about me and encourage me. You all know who you are.

I'm grateful that people I don't even know stop by my little blog every once in a while. I'd be glad to hear from you, too, if you'd like to leave a comment!

I am particularly thankful for the technology that allows me to work from home when I need to.

This morning, I was extra-sleepy when it came time to get up. Not the bone-tired exhaustion that I've come to expect with my fibromyalgia, but a real sleepiness. So, I went back to sleep for a while. When I awoke, I gathered my wits and drove up into west central Houston to get the blood work that my nutrtion doctor ordered. It is a special kind of bloodwork, where they keep your blood cells alive and then do tests to see how the cells metabolize different nutrients, to determine any deficiencies. I'm not a medical person and can't explain it very well, but this type of test tells you more than the typical blood serum tests that just checks levels of things in your blood. Your body may be producing the correct amount of hormones, etc, but if you can't metabolize them properly, you can have problems.

For some reason, the simple blood draw activated a pain center in my arm. They didn't hit a nerve or anything - it's just a FM thing. Sometimes things that shouldn't cause pain cause our bodies to go haywire and produce pain for no good reason.

Because the trip into Houston and back took all morning, and because my whole arm was throbbing, I decided to come home and work by e-mail and phone this afternoon.

I am so grateful that I had the option to do that!

My stringent 2-week diet is going well. We even dined out last night at a seafood restaurant. I enjoyed a beautiful grilled fillet of redfish, with fresh steamed vegetables and a little baked potato.

It's funny - I'm eating when I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry as often. I've already lost 2 pounds this week. I don't have those griping hunger pangs that would send me straight for the junk food. My digestive difficulties are lessening already.

A friend suggested that my extra sleepiness might just be a sign that my body is de-toxifying itself from all the crap that I've eaten in the past. She says that when people do detox fasts it is often suggested to allow for extra sleep as your body works at getting balanced. Makes sense to me.

I'm feeling very optimistic - and that's a nice feeling.

No comments: