I am in a weird place with regards to my job. First of all, I am an English major in an engineering world. I have never completely fit in - I have a very unique job classification that has allowed me to work my way up to a professional level despite my lack of an engineering degree.
Some years ago, I recognized that a B.A. in English is very limiting, and having a technical degree would benefit me in the long run. But when I looked at what was required, and looked at what I thought were my potential careers paths, I decided not to pursue it. Eventually, I decided to start working on a graduate degree in Space and Exploration Studies, fully knowing that it would not help me advance in my career - it was just for my own reasons.
Well, that decision is coming back to haunt me.
A new position came up, in the new Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV) office. This is the group that will design and build the next generation of space vehicle, for going to the Moon and Mars. They need someone to head up their configuration management group. It would be a promotion, and make use of my years of wonderful CM experience. I would be a perfect fit! Except, it was listed as an AST job (meaning: must be engineer/scientist/computer science). I was not even permitted to apply (government rules).
It turns out that my good friend Karen was selected. I am very happy for her, but geez - I taught her CM when she came into our office a year and a half ago. But she got the job because she had a little experience - and she has the engineer classification. Her degree was in computer science. Now, you must know that we do not use any engineering skills in our job. It's just the culture that, if you don't have an engineering or science degree, you don't have a brain.
OK, I was disappointed in this whole thing, but I thought it was OK because I don't really need the stress of a new job at this point in my life. But my boss John dropped a bomb on me yesterday.
They are making succession plans for our current office (I'm sure John will be leaving shortly). Mike is his deputy, and is the logical one to lead the office now. I'm the logical one to take over as deputy, and then the whole office when Mike retires.
Here's the kicker: since they re-classified Mike's job as a "deputy" at the beginning of the year, it requires that whoever fills it is an AST/engineer. Meaning - I can't get it.
My boss suggested that I look into what it will take for me to get the AST classification. What it will take is me getting a bachelor's degree in a science or engineering field!
Although I had calculus and other math courses during my previous educational forays, I did not have any college-level science courses. Before I can do anything, I have to go to the community college and pick up Inorganic Chemistry 1 & 2, Biology 1 & 2, and Organic Chemistry 1 & 2.
Part of me says - screw it. I don't have the energy or the inclination to get into a big part-time school push again.
Another part of me says - if I don't do something, it means that I'm perfectly happy to continue doing the same type of job until I retire. And that is not what I want.
Another part of me is having an all-out temper tantrum saying - It's not fair!! I've worked damn hard and been recognized for remarkable ability by the Agency! I've just devoted 15 years of my life to showing all I can do, and now you are going to pat me on the head and say, Nice work, little English major. Now go back in the corner and be a good little girl.
In actuality, my friend Karen says that I'll be the first one she hires for her new office, and she'll write the position description for me specifically. But even if I move over there, I'll be in the same boat. I know she plans to move away whenever her husband can retire (4 years). Maybe I could have the AST classification by that time, I don't know.
Anyway, to make sure I don't lose any more time, I did go ahead an submit an application to the local college. They offer the science courses that I need in evening and weekend classes. We'll see if I actually pursue it.
I have a lot of thinking to do.
And I'm damn glad I made those spa reservations too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment