Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Trying Out New Meds

I saw my rheumatologist yesterday for my 3-month fibromyalgia check-in/assessment. My symptoms are not getting a lot worse, so that's good. But the insomnia and lack of restorative sleep has been my biggest problem lately. She recommended trying one of the new meds to help with insomnia that is supposed to work well for most fibro patients. It doesn't seem to have long-term effects (well, we'll see about that - that's what they said about Vioxx and Bextra!).

Of course, my pharmacy didn't have any of the medication in stock. I was so tired and desperate for help with sleep that I almost cried when the pharmacist told me. She saw I was upset and said, "Don't worry, I'll have it here tomorrow for you!" Amazingly, it was there today. I'm starting out at the lowest dosage, so we'll see how it works.

I had tried Ambien before, but I was so doped up the following days that I couldn't function well. Although, from lack of sleep, I've been pretty dopey anyway. But Ambien is only supposed to be for short-term use, although I know several people who take it every night.

I see my regular physician on Friday, and I'm going to get some answers about perimenopause. I've realized that I have quite a few symptoms but I've been blaming fibro and my meds for causing them. It suddenly dawned on me that my hormones may be out of whack too. Geez, is there anything that isn't out of whack in my body???? (just kidding - I don't want to tempt fate and get another damn disease!)

My car had a couple of those weird dashboard messages that I dread - "Service Engine Soon" and "Reduced Engine Power." I freaked when I saw it, turned radio and A/C off, checked all the gauges, but everything seemed fine. George looked under the hood for any obvious problems when he got home last night, but everything seemed OK. We agreed that I would take it to the mechanic today, after I completed my 9 a.m. meeting at work.

Fortunately, I spoke with a co-worker before my meeting, and she had had the same problem a few years back. She found out that her gas cap was not seated correctly, and not having the tight seal caused those warning lights to come on. So after my meeting, I rushed down to the parking lot and checked my gas cap. It wasn't quite perfectly seated, so I re-screwed it in and drove around site for 2 miles. The message never came on.

I owe Lindy my co-worker a donut or something. I would have been so embarrassed if I took the car to the shop and it was just my gas cap not being closed properly.

1 comment:

Kathy C said...

Oh for goodness sakes! I can't believe a loose gas cap would set off alarms. What next!! I will keep that in mind though. What a relief to be able to cancel that appointment.