Candles on my cake, I mean.
Today I am 45 years old. Age doesn't usually bother me, but I have to admit that I've had a few moments over the past month where I've thought, "How did I get to be 45/so old?" depending on my attitude that day.
All in all, I'm glad to be 45. It's a good ripe age. I truly am more comfortable in my own skin than I've ever been before.
I was born on my parents' first wedding anniversary, so this would have been their 46th wedding anniversary. Of course, my dad passed away in 2004.
For years, my mom or dad would call me and say, "Happy Birthday!" and I would reply, "Happy anniversary!" It feels really weird not to do that now.
What I do is let Mom know that I am thinking about her, and Dad, today. It always makes her cry. She doesn't want me being sad on my birthday. Of course, I cry with her.
One of the Big Things I've Learned in the past year or so - happiness and grief can co-exist. That's the richness of a life lived well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Happy Birthday, you very wonderful woman. Maybe this is what it means "to live to a ripe old age", the sugary sweetness starts to break down, to rot...but then this can bring about a process that can make wine. Huh? Huh? Ever thought about that? And like wine, you keep getting better with age. May you have many many more birthdays, and may I be here to see them and wish you well. We have lost our fathers, but we have gained sisters. :)
Much love to you, Katie
Whoops! That was me! Since Blogger "requested" we migrate to Blogger Beta I get caught up in my work gmail account when I go to post comments. Sorry! That "thesis corner" blog isn't even active...Well, what "thesis corner" said. :)
Post a Comment